2001 LS 3.9 ok to change just the bad tensioner

westcoast90

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have recently bought a 2001 LS 3.9 base and it's got 245k and still running oh so strong but I have noticed a light but obvious rattle in the infamous right timing chain cover. I ordered the kit and Im wondering if anyone knows if it's worth changing the whole chain or just the tensioner if when I get it pulled apart the only thing that looks bad is the plastic tensioner. Any suggestions welcome.

Also if anyone has a shop manual they can send that would be so useful! Thanks in advance .

There have been several posts of regret on here by those who did not initially change the chain. It seems like by the time the tensioner is bad enough that you hear it, the chain is already stretched.
I would also suggest doing the other side at the same time.

There have been several posts of regret on here by those who did not initially change the chain. It seems like by the time the tensioner is bad enough that you hear it, the chain is already stretched.
I would also suggest doing the other side at the same time.
I have noticed this. That was the reason for the post. Trying to get a little personalized feedback. Honestly hoping the feedback would go the opposite direction. Lol. What you say seems right. The only hope I have that of just replacing the tensioner is the fact that it just started. Other than the noise, and only with the hood up at that, there is no symptoms of timing chain problems. Knowing this do you still change it all plus the drivers side?

I have noticed this. That was the reason for the post. Trying to get a little personalized feedback. Honestly hoping the feedback would go the opposite direction. Lol. What you say seems right. The only hope I have that of just replacing the tensioner is the fact that it just started. Other than the noise, and only with the hood up at that, there is no symptoms of timing chain problems. Knowing this do you still change it all plus the drivers side?

I have an 01 3.9 also. At 130,000, I changed the chains and tensioners. My tensioners were not broken but the right side chain guide was cracked and the chains were stretched. When you say you have the kit, do you mean all 4 chains, tensioners and guides? It is a pain to get the front cover off with all the accessories hanging off it but well worth the work. I did mine myself (and I'm 77 years old) so if you are a little mechanically inclined it isn't too expensive. I bought the kit from Christopher's Foreign Car Parts. The cam retainer and crank lock from Amazon. Also is your 01 an early or late build? After May 01 the chains were changed I was told. Mine is the early design.

Yes I bought the kit online which includes all four chains to tensioners and the guides. It was only $50! Mine is the early model 01. And I am mechanically inclined however I'm familiar with auto mechanics for the most part but I know nothing about more experience work. I am very good with Google and I take directions well though. The only thing stopping me from changing it is the fact that it's my only car for me my wife and child.

Last edited:
Check your manufacturer date on your car. 2001 there was 2 different runs of timing chain parts. If your car was made 05/2001 or later it kinda explains why the chains inside have not broken in 245k. Either way, you may have the wrong chains for what your car is since you bought them online for 50 bucks. The correct upper tensionors alone are 40 each.

I had a March 2001 made LS, and I had the death rattle at 100k. When my mech opened it up and converted it to post May 2001 version we found out it was the SECOND time that someone was in there. Hopefully the last time with the better chain designs.

Check your manufacturer date on your car. 2001 there was 2 different runs of timing chain parts. If your car was made 05/2001 or later it kinda explains why the chains inside have not broken in 245k. Either way, you may have the wrong chains for what your car is since you bought them online for 50 bucks. The correct upper tensionors alone are 40 each.

I had a March 2001 made LS, and I had the death rattle at 100k. When my mech opened it up and converted it to post May 2001 version we found out it was the SECOND time that someone was in there. Hopefully the last time with the better chain designs.
Mine is an early '01. February to be exact and unless I'm totally missing something, I really got what was advertised for a no hidden charges cost of $50 shipped in 4 days. I will send a pic in a little while. Unless I am strongly urged against it by multiple people, I plan on just changing the tensioner as long as every thing looks in order. Mainly because it's my family's sole source of transportation and if it takes days we would have to bum rides to the store because were kinda in the country and god forbid an emergency...

And another thing about my LS. After all the posts I keep reading about problems such as coolant res. to secondary tensioner and always well under the 200k mark I can't wrap my mind around the fact that mine runs like a scalded dog at 243k and the only things I've had to do in the few months I've had it have been brakes (at first rear and now currently about to do front), a couple ball joints, tie rod ends , and my most recent projects just came in today and yesterday. It was pretty much the only things I had wrong left to fix. Timing chain (hopefully just tensioner), front pads, sway bar bushings and front sway bar end links, and both front window motors and regulators. The boy I bought it from was clueless and a recent owner himself and not only was he totally unknoledgeable about all 3.9s he particularly knew nothing about this mine and it's history but luckily the terrible need for some ball joints and an alignment, he liked trading me for my '99 chevy tracker 2wd with homemade bikini top or something and no front fenders along with $250 to be paid to him on Friday when I got paid. So I feel lucky that he knew nothing because I definitely won in that trade and I hate that he knew nothing because ultimately I will only know my LSs by what it tells me as I work on it so it's possible that this timing chain has been replaced already and I'll have no idea when if so. I'm gonna take off the timing chain cover for a better view asap. I've kinda been hoping someone will help me with a shop manual.

So again: anyone have a downloadable shop manual for early model 2001 Lincoln Ls 3.9 base.

Another little side note to those interested. I got the car at 232k and just noticed it since I got it and it has 243k now. It runs great for it's age. And I treat it good. Regularly check it, constantly maintain it and never dog it out unnecessarily, although I do appreciate and utilize it's abilities. Lol

Here's some pics of the timing chain kit I bought online from a place called Prime Choice and they sell parts through eBay as well as their own site. They prices are unbelievable and always great feedback. Mine shipped in 4 days free shipping $50 No tax. No fine print. no misleading ad description. Everything is there that is supposed to be. I'm really impressed. But plz tell me if this is what I need as far as you can tell. Besides the two tools I'll need from Amazon which I'm gonna wait on this feedback before spending the money. Hopefully you guys are unable to convince me tok change it all because I'm strongly considering changing just the passenger side tensioner.

Well your pic isn't seen anywhere, but here's an easier way:

https://www.amazon.com/2000-2001-LINCOLN-3-9L-TIMING-CHAIN/dp/B00RPW86GQ

So, yes you do have the 1st generation system - not the corrected 1st gen. BTW the corrected 1st gen is basically the same as the rest of the production in 2nd gen, thus why 2002 didn't have as many issues. Now if you kit includes all those parts, you are good to go, short of the fact that the kit does not include the myriad of gaskets and seals that are also needed. Go to christophers foreign auto parts to see what I mean there.

IMPORTANT NOTE FOR ALL: that pic in the Amazon is actually WRONG. the long chains with the quad links is 2nd gen and post May 2001. The 'correct' chains for pre may 2001 is just like the bike chains pictured (shorter ones). Thus why they are weaker. Mind you, the pictures are not always accurate at Amazon and likely the kit would be shipped with bike chains. I used this pic so he could get a feel of all the parts that should be there and a more realistic price point.

Also, yes we harp about alot of problems, but we all do love these cars. Thus why we stick with them even though its pricier than other choices, and getting harder by the day to find parts.

20180306_023325.jpg

yup, I did a little more search and appears that someone is dumping stock on these parts. LOTS on ebay. From your pic, it looks like you have the bike chain style there too. Not the quad 'over top' links 2nd gen. You just need the myriad of gaskets and you are set.

That's the one I got. It was only $50 at Prime Choice.
I bought upper control arms and hub assemblies from prime choice...I agree the prices are unbelievable and my parts have been going strong for almost 8 months now with no issues

I had a problem with my 2000 ls 3.9. Sounded like a rod knock but it was upper passenger side tensioner, a really easy fix. You just have to partially lift out one cam. I always use a 2 foot section of wooden broom handle that I put up to my ear and move other end along engine to find out location if any noises.

Members online

No members online now.
Back