2001 Lincoln LSV8 Alternator Rebuild

Rapidtransit

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
The alternator in my 2001 Lincoln LS V8 has had an intermittent illuminated battery light for the past 4 weeks.
After doing some research, it seems that remanufactured alternators ( except Ford Units ) don't play well with the cars ECM.
I spoke with a company that sells the rebuild parts and they say that the remanufacturers aren't using the correct regulators.
All the other parts are OK. I went ahead and ordered the following: slip ring, rectifier, bearings, tolerance ring & cap and
Transpo F601HD regulator. The rebuild process was straight-forward with a few youtube videos. I had the most god-awful time
removing and reinstalling the alternator, but then again this is a Lincoln LS, I should be used to this kind of stuff. The alternaor works
well with no illuminated battery light. All the parts cost me $72 shipped.

Anything on the LS is difficult, but for some reason, we are still driving them. There's a special thing to owning an LS, I'm still not sure what. But try owning a V6 where you have to remove the intake manifold to get to coils. Everything and a half is mounted onto the intake manifold.

This method is much cheaper than shelling out $360 for a Motorcraft alternator, this can be useful in the near future.

...But try owning a V6 where you have to remove the intake manifold to get to coils. ...

I'm not disagreeing with your statement, but do be aware that there are lots of cars that require this to get to get to the coils (some of them with mostly the same engine).
At one time, there were some GM cars that required that the engine be partially dropped to get to a couple of the plugs. I remember a 70's Cadillac that you had to remove (not disconnect) the AC compressor to get to one or two of the plugs (and plugs had to be replaced at least yearly).

Members online

No members online now.
Back