2001 lincoln ls v8 timing chain replacement

phantom

New LVC Member
Reaction score
My car has been running bad at idle and after my mechanic checked it and tested it on his diagnostic machine he said it needs a timing chain set because probably the tensioner has gone bad. . The problem he said he called the Lincoln dealer, autozone , rock auto, ect and can't find anyplace that carries that timing chain set. Does any one know where I can get the timing chain set, thanks.

And the OP very likely only needs the secondary upgraded JAG tentioner and chain replacement. Exhaust cam will need to be backed off by the sounds of it also during the replacement process.

Thank you all for the quick responses. I have another question. While searching several sites some vendors say the replacement timing chain set for my 2001 3.9 v8 covers the years 2000 to 2001 while other vendors say it covers the years 2001 to 2005. How do I find out for sure what years it covers, thanks again.

The kit you need with cover from 2000 to 2002. Often, the vendors get the years wrong on this car.

I'm still confused about which timing kit to get. Some vendors say it's for the years 2000 to 2001, some 2000 to 2002 and others say 2001 to 2005. Also when looking at the kits on ebay they sell 2 different timing chain kits for the 2001 Lincoln ls v8. According to them in 2001 two 3.9L engines were made one is a 241 cubic inch and the other is a 242 cubic inch, so they state that they have two different kits depending which size it is. If this is true where do I look to find out cubic inch displacement. Thank you.

242 would make it 4.0, which would be the S-type, not the LS. It's 2000 to 2002.
http://christophersforeigncarparts.com/ is where you want to get the parts. He has the correct ones, the ones that you won't have to replace again later, and he knows what fits what.

The primary chain changed in either all of 2002 or mid-year 2002. I forget the details - it's been 6 years - one used a roller style chain, the other used a tooth style chain.
The secondary chains, to my knowledge, stayed the same, at least for the LS engine, for all of 2000-2002. I don't know if the VVT system changed the secondary chains for Gen II though.

In short, go to Christopher's and get a kit for a 2001 LS.

I'm looking to buy or rent the cam locking tool if anyone has one.

Four litres is 244.8 ci. 3.9 litres is 238.68 ci---to the hundredth of a litre.

Big Rig, the tool I use was made by a mechanic of my acquaintance.

KS

Four litres is 244.8 ci. 3.9 litres is 238.68 ci---to the hundredth of a litre....

Agreed, but only to the 1/10 of a liter. Since the precision is only to 1/10 for liters and to 1 for cubic inches (in this discussion), then:
235 to 241 cid rounds to 3.9 L
242 to 247 cid rounds to 4.0 L
254 to 259 cid rounds to 4.2 L

(and I think you meant to the 1/100th of a cubic inch...)
Otherwise:
237.69 to 238.29 cid rounds to 3.90 L

3.9 L = 237.994 CID

I don't know why the pickiness over the liter to cubic inch conversion. The OEMs don't care to be that accurate. If it's within 10 cubic inches of a well-marketed or cool-sounding liter measurement, that's what they call it.

Big Rig, the tool I use was made by a mechanic of my acquaintance.

KS

That would probably require opening the engine, taking measurements, and fabricating the tool. That's a bit of downtime

Rig, I could take measurements of the one in the kit I just picked up

Think it may be easier if I just bought my own I suppose. Where did you pick one up?

EDIT - - - - Actually I just found the 6680 Cam Tool set on Amazon for a much better price then I had seen in the past.

Local former LS owner with a full LS-specific Rotunda kit. They're on ebay from time to time

Members online

No members online now.
Back