2001 Lincoln LS - No 5th Gear

Another question for you, I know in some cars the timing chain can cause quite a few issues. There is a rattling noise sounding exactly like the bad timing chain did on my Cadillac STS that I had. Could this be related at all?

Another question for you, I know in some cars the timing chain can cause quite a few issues. There is a rattling noise sounding exactly like the bad timing chain did on my Cadillac STS that I had. Could this be related at all?

That's another big problem for you, but not at all related to the transmission issue.

I just got done taking the pan down and solenoid back out. I also picked up a solenoid from a u pull junk yard off an LS in very nice shape. Trans fluid looked brand new in it.

I'm going to test the resistance now

Just so i know I'm doing something wrong when measuring ohms, which setting should I have it on? I have the multimeter set at 200k.

My reading for solenoid C on the solenoid pack I picked up from the junkyard is 0.00.

Just so i know I'm doing something wrong when measuring ohms, which setting should I have it on? I have the multimeter set at 200k.

My reading for solenoid C on the solenoid pack I picked up from the junkyard is 0.00.

You need to set it at least down to the 200 ohm range.

Everything seems to be in spec...

The only thing I've seen out of place so far is the little circle metal screen/filter inside the transmission pan, that's mounted with four bolts, has 4 tears in it on the outer parts. The two tears and across from each other and the other 2 years are across from each other as well. I pulled this part down on the other transmission and it was springloaded. I don't know what this part is but I couldn't see it causing much havoc.

How do I remove a valve to get to be valve spring?

I'm trying to see if the 4-3 prestroke valve spring is broke but I can't get it to come out. However, what I do notice, is that this valve doesn't move much and seems stuck, unlike the rest.

Bingo. The issue was a broken 4-3 prestroke valve spring in the valve body. It was broke in 4 places out of the 8 coils on it.. shattered. I'll have a spring tomorrow and I'll let you know if it fixes the problem. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

;) refering back to post 8

Hopefully you are doing all the springs via the transgo shift kit. Now that mine is running smooth as silk, I recommend anyone having to drop the pan at the age of these cars seriously think about redoing the valve body. Yours sounds just like mine, wasnt the solenoid at all probably, but hey if in there change that too.

Members online

No members online now.
Back