2001 Lincoln LS - Is sunroof supposed to open all the way?

Kirk Washer

LVC Member
Reaction score
Just bought a 2001 LS. The sunroof doesnt open all the way. The glass opens halfway. Is it supposed to open all the way?

Yes, it should retract fully, and when it does it will retract the sun shade completely as well. It also has a vent feature. Is that working?

yes... check the track maybe... does the motor still make noise once the glass stops moving?

Yes, it should retract fully, and when it does it will retract the sun shade completely as well. It also has a vent feature. Is that working?

Crap. Thanks for letting me know. Im not sure about the vent feature. Ill have to check. But it isnt going back all the way.

yes... check the track maybe... does the motor still make noise once the glass stops moving?

I dont think the motor makes noise when the glass stops moving. Ill have to check and get back with you. I have the car stored about an hour away from me until I can make room in my own garage. Once I get it home ill check it out for sure. What would cause it to not go back all the way? A bad track?

Thanks for all of your guys help. Im glad I found this forum. Im glad I bought this LS. Ill post pictures when I get it done. It needs some work, but I want it back to flawless condition. It has low miles, so the car is worth it. I need to get some rocker panels and probably have parts of the floor pan cut out and patched. It Needs truck and fender painted because the paint is bubbling some. No rust though, other than underneath. Interior is flawless already. Ill probably put in some interior LED lights. Maybe get some new buttons because the sun faded them.

But thanks again guys. I appreciate the help.

Pretty sure the problem lies in the sunroof module. My 2nd LS had the same problem and it turned out that the module was incorrectly reading the position of the glass causing it to stop half way but it'd gladly return to the closed position. A new module solved the problem but messed up the alignment of the glass, so now one side of the glass is higher than the other. Not sure how to recalibrate the module though.

That bubbling is not going to be easy to fix properly. The hood, trunk, and front fenders are aluminum. There is iron dust on the aluminum under the paint (manufacturing flaws). When the paint breaks and salt water (ocean mist, spray from salted winter roads), the salt actually eats the aluminum instead of rusting the iron. It's called galvanic corrosion and it has been a Ford problem

Members online

Back