2001 Lincoln Continental clunking noise while turning steering wheel

bcrogers79

New LVC Member
Reaction score
hello everyone has started making a clunking noise while I turn the steering wheel in the driver side wheel I can't figure out what it is does anybody have any clues thank you for any suggestions somebody might have

i'm no expert but i would look at cv joints or at least start there. look for any tears or openings in the rubber boots . also look for play in any bushings , bearings , ball joints ect . last week i replaced the rack and pinion ,in my 2000 continental . i also changed the tie rod ends , there were not bad but they did have some wear so i figured do it , i dont think i would do that job my self again . very little room to work, i think they greased the engine well and used a shoe horn to fit all that stuff under the hood . good luck

Sounds like a ball joint or tie rod end. At worst a control arm bushing. You need a second person to verify. One to crawl under the car while on the ground, while another turns the steering wheel back and forth. Eyeball and put hands on the afforementioned parts. You should see or feel movement wherever the clunk is coming from.

Members online

Back