2001 Conti Problem....HELP!!!!

nycplayboy78

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey there everybody :)

I have a 2001 Continental (86,000 miles) and recently I noticed that there was smoke coming out of the steering column right above where I put my key in to start the car. Can anyone tell me what is causing it and how to rectify this problem? I look forward to hearing from you guys...

Thanks!!!!!

Smoke? Do you smell anything?

Go to a mechanic. Im guessing your fryin some wires.

Smoking Steering Wheel Column

Thank you for the advise. Do you suggest that I go to a Ford/Mercury/Lincoln dealership or just some regular mechanic? The problem is not bad at all. My steering isn't suffering from any damage and the onboard computer don't seem to notice it. Could it be my airbag module or something like that? Knowing what I know about my Lincoln it is going to cost me hundreds of dollars to get that problem fixed :( UGH!!!! I was saving to get a new paint job from MAACO.....FUDGE!!!!

Thank You.....

:)

I'd either take it to the dealership or a shop the specializes in electronics. There is nothing in that area that should be leaking that would cause smoke, which means it leaves electrical.

It could be your clock spring is worn and the wires are chaffed and in short, you could have an problem on your hand. If the wrong wires ground out, poof goes your airbag.

definatly electrical problem. going to say the multifunction switch, or the ignition switch. Clockspring is also possible, but less likely.

get an expert to look at it, either stealership, or a shop that specializes in electrical as mentioned before. Otherwise, this can get very expensive, very quickly.

Oh, and dont delay. the life you save could be your own.

Members online

No members online now.
Back