2000LS v8 won't start

strik9_34

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I store my LS for the winter here in MI. I went to start her up last weekend and all it did was crank and crank...nothing. Some troubleshooting reveled that I wasn't getting fuel to the engine. I checked the fuse and relay for the fuel pump...relay was clicking, but the fuse was blown. I swapped out the fuse, but I still didn't hear the fuel pump kick in when I tried to start it again.

My initial though is that the fuel pump ceased and the fuse blew on the first attempt at starting the car. I guess I just wanted to verify that I should replace the fuel pump. I also wanted to know if this would be normal for this car since I have roughly 84k miles on it.

a fuel pump can become a very likely candidate at 75K. Mine is on the way out at 150K. New one ordered already.

Have you checked the fuel shutoff switch in the passenger kick panel (at least, I think that's where it is)? Maybe that tripped when the fuse blew.

yeah I checked the fuel shutoff switch and it wasn't tripped. I'm pretty certain I have a new pump in my near future.

thanks for the reply

a fuel pump can become a very likely candidate at 75K. Mine is on the way out at 150K. New one ordered already.

Have you checked the fuel shutoff switch in the passenger kick panel (at least, I think that's where it is)? Maybe that tripped when the fuse blew.

It's in the driver's kick panel on the gen II.

yeah the fuel pump shutoff is on the driver's side. I'll be doing some more troubleshooting to verify I have power at the pump. I didn't have a DMM with me when I was trying to get it out of storage. I'll keep ya posted.

Thanks!

fuel pump install going to happen

I checked the voltage at the connector and it looks like I have power to the pump (good news). So...

I picked up a fuel pump from Napa (cuz it's right around the corner from my house) and it set me back a cool $139. I'm going to start dismantling the pump this weekend. So far I got the seat off, black cover popped off (wedged a large flat-head screwdriver in there and pried it out) and I can get the lock ring off (with the same screw driver & a hammer). The only issue is the fuel lines. I didn't know how to disconnect the red & white lines. After reading more in the forums, I know I just need to pinch the tabs & lift the lines out. I read in my service manual that you have to pinch the tabs, turn the fuel line slightly, then lift out. I'll give it the old college try either way.

I'll take some pictures along the way so that others with the same pump I have can get some form of reference. I saw another post on here that detailed the install for an 04, so I'll use that as much as I can.

Wish me luck!
strik9_34

Hey Pektel, was it you that said your ordered the 255 LPH pump? I need to get one myself and I suppose I might "up" the rating of the pump while I'm at it.

I was changing my fuel filter today and I looked and could not locate the fuel cutoff switch. Where in the well is it cause I looked for like twenty minutes.

I was changing my fuel filter today and I looked and could not locate the fuel cutoff switch. Where in the well is it cause I looked for like twenty minutes.

If gen I is like gen II, then it's behind the driver's kick panel just above floor level.

Hey Pektel, was it you that said your ordered the 255 LPH pump? I need to get one myself and I suppose I might "up" the rating of the pump while I'm at it.

I wanted to, but could not find a direct replacement. So, just the regular old 190 lph for me.

update: it was the fuel pump

So I purchased the following fuel pump at Napa Auto Parts:

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?R=NFPP76103_0249673956

It's a Walbro pump. I was able to dismantle the back seat and I took the black cover off. I removed the fuel lines by pushing in the tabs on both the white and red connectors. I lifted the lines and they came out quite easily. In order to bleed the fuel system before I pulled the lines out, I removed the fuel pump fuse from the read distribution box and I cranked the engine a few times.

I removed the lock ring and I was able to pull the lid of the assembly out. I reached into the tank and pressed two plastic tabs to remove the fuel pump assembly can from the tank. Once I had the assembly in hand, I just had to disconnect the electrical connector from the pump and unscrewed 3 screws from the top of the can. I pulled the lid off, then slid the fuel pump right out. I took the new one, attached the included grommets & filter, and inserted it into the assembly. I screwed the lid back on the can, attached the new wiring harness to the pump, then attached the original electrical connector to the harness. Pow, bang, boom, the new assembly made its way back into the tank. I attached the fuel hoses, lock ring & electrical connector & fired it right up! The 2000LS is back on the road again!

The job took me roughly 30 minutes...and I forgot my camera...hence the text description (boooooooooooo)

Members online

No members online now.
Back