2000 V8 Rough Idle Only when engine is cold/first couple of minutes running

Rigsby94

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I first want to say thanks for all the help I have received on here. With out this site and forum I would be clueless and screwed for the most part lol.
Anyways I have 2000 V8 that has a rough idle when the engine has got completely cold, like after it has set for 3-4 hours in 20-30 degree whether for example. It does it for the first minute or two depending in how cold it is outside and it stops. I had a check engine light come on a couple of times and the code was a P0352 which is some kind of circuit for the coil packs or something like that. I'm not really sure. But it has been off for a couple of weeks but I still get that roughy idle. The rough idle is not like having a misfire, it is like having a bigger cam and it loping. I have been told to replace the coil packs and spark plugs which I may do...but I have also been told it could be a bad intake gasket and its shrinking up when it's cold and expanding when it's warm because its rubber?? The thing that kinda confuses me thought is that I have experience this loping a couple if times after driving the car for long periods of time when the engine is hot. I have only experience and hand full of times over 3 months and about 2500 miles.
Now when I experience the loping when it's could which happens every time the engine gets cold it will do it during idle or in gear until the engine gets warm after a minute or so.
When I have experienced it the very few times when it is warm I have been setting for like 30 seconds or a minute or just setting at a red light for a few seconds. And it's only doing it at idle when the engine is warm NOT while in gear.
I'm just at a lost and kinda confused but I don't want to start throwing parts and money at it before I even have a idea of what it may be. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Your headgasket is not made out of rubber. It is not shrinking and expanding. Stop listening to whoever told you that.

You have a code for an ignition problem. The LS V8 is legendary for ignition coil problems. Replace all the coils and all the spark plugs (make sure they are gap'd to 1mm) at the same time.

There are other things that could be going on too, but I will offer nothing else until you do this. Why resist fixing the issue that almost 100% of us have had?

(BTW, if you keep going like this you may kill your expensive catalytic converters and your very expensive PCM.)

Joegr is correct

Think about this a moment. As things heat up, they expand, as thing cool down they shrink. This could be as simple as an vacuum leak. check all hose clamps for tightness. replace all old rubber vacuum hoses. maybe your iAC valve needs cleaning or replacement. tell us what you've had replaced, mileage on the car, etc. more details please.

Thanks for all the input! Ok so I was talking about the intake gaskets not the head gaskets. But I bought the car 3 months ago a it was a trade in a car dealership my dad works at. The car is 2 owner and is super clean an looks well taken care of but I think they traded it in because of the rough idle. I will replace the coil packs and spark plugs though! The LS has 112k on it. As far as the maintenance history or what has been done to it...I'm not sure. All I have done to it so far was, fresh oil change, front sway bar bushings and end links, 04 LS Chrome Sport wheels, solenoid pack in the transmission along with a fluid and filter change and that's it. There is no leaks anywhere and the car drives great. I am going to change the valve cover gaskets when I do the coil packs and plugs just for preventative maintenance. I will get all that done in the next week. I will pick up a can of starter fluid after work today and spray on everything when I start the car in the am tomorrow. This is my 3rd LS, 2 being a v8 and one being a v6 and other than changing a couple of coil packs on the v6 one I have been lucky.

at 112k i would look at replacing the PCV valve and vacuum line. my 01V6 needed these changed out right about that mileage. The PCV elbow may have a leak or the vacuum line boots may be cracked. It would run rough on and off due to a crack in the boot.

at 112k i would look at replacing the PCV valve and vacuum line. my 01V6 needed these changed out right about that mileage. The PCV elbow may have a leak or the vacuum line boots may be cracked. It would run rough on and off due to a crack in the boot.

No PCV valve on the V8.

Psssstttt.... He has a V8

I picked up a can of starting fluid so I will see how things go after checking them in the morning and let you all know. Thanks for the help again!

this is what is going on with my car. can anyone help me out with this or know how to get a hold of Rigsby94 to see if he ever got it figured out. thanks.

this is what is going on with my car. can anyone help me out with this or know how to get a hold of Rigsby94 to see if he ever got it figured out. thanks.

Welll..... He hasn't been on here in over a year.......

You might check the throttle body for sludge.

Members online

No members online now.
Back