2000 V8 LS Lower Radiator Hose blew

Kool LS

LVC Member
Reaction score
My lower radiator hose cracked (blew) yesterday while wife was driving. See circled portion of photo where the plastic portion cracked. Car overheated. Got it home after letting it cool down. I found out this lower radiator hose (without the oil cooler lines) is a special item and not even stocked locally due to the special plastic middle portion that's about 12 inches long.

Carquest stocks a lower radiator hose but it has the oil cooler lines to it. They said i could bypass them. My car doesn't have the oil cooler lines.

2000 LS V8 w/ 175k miles

LS Lower rad hose red.jpg

LS Radiator hose diagram.JPG

Last edited:
I think rock auto stocks that $47.79 it says without cooler lines im pretty sure thats the one you need.

You would be wise to replace the other plastic cooling system parts (including the upper radiator hose) at this time. My limited experience is that they all start to fail at close to the same time. Since your overheated, that may have added extra stress to the rest of the parts.
I don't know about gen I, but a full set for the gen II is about $500.

[/FONT]
You would be wise to replace the other plastic cooling system parts (including the upper radiator hose) at this time. My limited experience is that they all start to fail at close to the same time. Since your overheated, that may have added extra stress to the rest of the parts.
I don't know about gen I, but a full set for the gen II is about $500.

Joegr, Are you referring to the following parts in bold and from the diagram?

Manoli, Thank you for the rock auto info.

1 — Coolant control valve
2 8260 Upper radiator hose
3 8A520 Coolant outlet tube
4 18472 Heater inlet hoses (2 req)
5 18472 Heater outlet hose
6 18476 Heater core
7 6049 Cylinder head RH
8 — Cylinder head gasket (2 req)
9 6050 Cylinder head LH
10 — Throttle body adapter
11 — Engine vent hose
12 — Degas bottle
13 — Relief valve
14 6015 Cylinder block
15 8A587 Thermostat housing
16 8501 Water pump
17 6A642 Oil cooler
18 — Oil cooler inlet hose
19 8286 Lower radiator hose
20 — Oil cooler outlet hose
21 — Auxiliary coolant pump
22 8005 Radiator

LS Cooling diagram highlighted.JPG

LS Radiator parts.jpg

Spoke with Max from Fivestar Ford today and he's able to get me the correct lower radiator hose for my 2000 LS V8 (without the oil cooling lines) and will have it for me to install tomorrow! Max could have had it today if i would have got back to him earlier. Max's customer service is the best!!! Thanks Max!

I replaced the Degass bottle about a year ago. I asked Max about the other plastic parts (upper radiator hose, Coolant outlet tube, and thermostat housing) but he said those don't fail as much as the lower hose does so I'll hold off and cross my fingers on the other plastic parts for now.

It might be time for a newer vehicle this summer, the LS is starting to show all it's 175k miles.

2000 LS V8 w/ 175k miles

I am currently chasing down a leak and going to pressure test the system tomorrow after work, but how did you first notice the leak? Overheated, popped hood and saw the crack? My leak is coming from in between the headlights, which I don't know how it could be coming from there seeing no coolant part runs between the headlights. I think it is running down something. Guess I will know for sure after the pressure test.

I am currently chasing down a leak and going to pressure test the system tomorrow after work, but how did you first notice the leak? Overheated, popped hood and saw the crack? My leak is coming from in between the headlights, which I don't know how it could be coming from there seeing no coolant part runs between the headlights. I think it is running down something. Guess I will know for sure after the pressure test.

In this latest case for my car it started overheating, I popped the hood saw coolant on top of the air cleaner. when I got it home to the garage I removed the air intake/air cleaner and saw the hard plastic tube section of the lower radiator hose had a hairline crack down the length of the tube (see red circled section of the hose in the 1st photo I posted).

Just a guess on my part, but if your coolant leak is coming from between your headlights look for a leak at the radiator itself, lower radiator hose, oil cooler hoses (if your car has these). A pressure test of the system should find the leak.

Good luck.

Members online

Back