2000 V8 252HP rating, IS that at wheels or at crank?

EBK

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Titles says it all. Anyone Dyno a stock LS. What did it make at the wheels?

My search fu is week and all I can find is the factory spec of 252 but none say if at wheel or crank.

Here's magnaflow's gains dyno. A little confusing (at least to someone who has never run a dyno), but the blue lines are old performance, red is new. Bold is horsepower, faded is torque. The HP with the exhaust stays under 250, so it is most likely that the engine makes 252hp at the crank, especially since most manufacturers report power at the crank. Its simply a high number to report in an incomplete numbers game

15710.jpg

any mfg horsepower claims are ALWAYS crank hp.

take off 14% - 16% for drive line loss for wheel hp.

Hard to believe that is at the wheels. I got mine on a dyno and it put out 224 or maybe it was 229 at the wheels or so, gen2, with maganaflow mufflers, a tune, running on all 8.

any mfg horsepower claims are ALWAYS crank hp.

take off 14% - 16% for drive line loss for wheel hp.

Except for those that intentionally under-report their true numbers..... Like a certain German brand.....

Thanks for the info. So it seems the real world # for the LS is closer to 220-230 HP at the rear wheels depending on 1st or 2nd gen. Good to Know when Shopping for my next car down the road.

It would be nice if manufactures would list real world power #s and not useless # like what the engine will do if not under any load whatsoever.

ETA: I understand why they don't as 220 doesn't impress anyone if its pushing a nearly 4k pound car, and honestly 252 is borderline.

Here's magnaflow's gains dyno. A little confusing (at least to someone who has never run a dyno), but the blue lines are old performance, red is new. Bold is horsepower, faded is torque. The HP with the exhaust stays under 250, so it is most likely that the engine makes 252hp at the crank, especially since most manufacturers report power at the crank. Its simply a high number to report in an incomplete numbers game

15710.jpg

I wonder what a Muffler delete would do to those factory #'s if anything, i doubt its just Magnaflow mufflers doing that so I'm guessing its a cat back system that runs about 1k or more. I have always liked the look of the LS however I had no idea the limited nature of the beast as far as addons until after I bought one. I would like to Squeeze a little more out of it but it doesn't seem like there is much more to squeeze. Just Picking up some Low end HP and torque would be nice though.

Except for those that intentionally under-report their true numbers..... Like a certain German brand.....

correct. there are certainly mfg's that under report crank hp, and is actually wheel power. has been done
for years, but your german brand is well known for doing that very thing :)

I wonder what a Muffler delete would do to those factory #'s if anything, i doubt its just Magnaflow mufflers doing that so I'm guessing its a cat back system that runs about 1k or more. I have always liked the look of the LS however I had no idea the limited nature of the beast as far as addons until after I bought one. I would like to Squeeze a little more out of it but it doesn't seem like there is much more to squeeze. Just Picking up some Low end HP and torque would be nice though.

Presumably, they use their straight-through mufflers which are glorified glasspacks, so they're not far from a delete. The catback runs about $850. I'm not a fan of the sound and will be going with a custom exhaust fabricated and installed for probably a little less than Magnaflow without installation.

Tune and changing the Gen 1 exhaust are about the only noticeable off the shelf changes. Gen 2 supposedly has much better exhaust flow

that usually means either a valve float issue, or a restricted maf, etc...
not sure what the squiggly lines like that mean on a ls dyno'd.

Presumably, they use their straight-through mufflers which are glorified glasspacks, so they're not far from a delete. The catback runs about $850. I'm not a fan of the sound and will be going with a custom exhaust fabricated and installed for probably a little less than Magnaflow without installation.

Tune and changing the Gen 1 exhaust are about the only noticeable off the shelf changes. Gen 2 supposedly has much better exhaust flow

I have already deleted the Mufflers on mineand have been kicking around the idea of having the local shop remove resonators and put a dual in dual out thrush muffler in its place http://www.jegs.com/i/Dynomax/289/17637/10002/-1?parentProductId=. Also have been looking at the KKM induction kit http://www.kustomz.com/123900.html#sport anyone have any experience with that other than make the intake sound better any indication of better throttle response?

Also as far as tune I have no idea what it has right now since the sticker inside the door says it was last updated at a Mazda dealership and has some code I don't understand. Any one know who much or if Lincoln could make sure its on the most recent programing.
IMG_2391_zpsoqu2yw1x.jpg

I Just had a Band new engine put in it that had 0 miles. its up to just over 800 now so I plan on having this car for a long time and want to make it as fun as possible within reason.

I think you need some new wheels for summer to make it faster....I can deliver these close to CR (I have them in Indianapolis but my parents live close to CR).

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forum/showthread.php?95790-06-LS-Black-Rims-and-Eibachs-for-Sale

I do need some new rims or at least to refinish mine but cosmetic things are lower on the list. Performance comes first if its possible at all. I figure intake and exhaust is about all I can do.

I have Noticed its much more responsive in SST mode than in Automatic.

By tune I mean an outside tuner through an SCT unit, not just dealer reflashing.

The blue line, factory, it seems like it should be smoother if car is running correctly.

Looking at it and thinking about my experience with my 02 V8, I may have an explanation. Assuming they ran the dyno in 4th (1:1 engine:driveshaft speed), there's a thing it does at about 80mph at WOT in 4th where it feels like the torque converter locks up for 2 seconds, then releases and continues as normal. The RPMs drop (audibly with the aftermarket intake tube). I wonder if it's related. It's at about the same RPM.

Members online

No members online now.
Back