2000 stock radio amplifier

Black_Sunshine

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I got a question about the original stock radio...

I took out my original Ford head unit. My car did not have the subwoofers in the rear deck. It did have a CD changer in the glove compartment.

I never saw a factory amplifier like the one pictured in this ebay link. If my car has one of these, where would it be mounted?

Amplifier Lincoln LS Thunderbird 00 01 02 03 04 05 06 533069 | eBay

So, nothing at all on the rear deck, but you do have the CD changer?
If so, then you probably don't have the two small center console speakers either. The amp shown is the amplifier for those.
s6x~us~en~file=a0062259.gif~gen~ref.gif
(driver's side under the dash)

It was only useful with the stock headunit with the DSP output for center channel.

Joe - Thanks for the response. Yea, I have a CD changer in the glove box, but I did not have the rear deck subwoofer or the center console speakers. I think the original owner of the car bought the cheaper audio system, but must have added the CD as an option.

I did buy the subwoofer for the rear deck on eBay, and I drive it with a small amp. The subs still sound good...

Ok, so I replaced the front door speakers and am hooking them up to an aftermarket amp, but the headunit stopped sending power to the front left speaker. So can I take the wires that go to the center speakers, and use that signal, run it to the amp, then to the door? Pretty much my question is will it still sound fine without the center speakers? And also do the center speakers receive the same frequencies as the door speakers?

.... So can I take the wires that go to the center speakers, and use that signal, run it to the amp, then to the door? ...

Sure, but you won't get the result that you want at all. The DSP processed center channel is not at all like the left channel that you need.

.... Pretty much my question is will it still sound fine without the center speakers? ...

Yes, you'll hardly notice the lack of the center channel.

.... And also do the center speakers receive the same frequencies as the door speakers?

No, they do not.

Sure, but you won't get the result that you want at all. The DSP processed center channel is not at all like the left channel that you need.

Yes, you'll hardly notice the lack of the center channel.

No, they do not.
little off topic, but do you joe have a wire diagram for the 6 disc changer? im putting a 7 band eq in its place and just looking for an easy place to steal power/switched/ground from....and secondly..the amp activation wire for the rear sub amp, is it 12v or 5v, and does it give its signal independant of the head unit? (would it still go live with the keyed ignition even with an aftermarket HU)

little off topic, but do you joe have a wire diagram for the 6 disc changer? im putting a 7 band eq in its place and just looking for an easy place to steal power/switched/ground from....and secondly..the amp activation wire for the rear sub amp, is it 12v or 5v, and does it give its signal independant of the head unit? (would it still go live with the keyed ignition even with an aftermarket HU)
You should do a write up of how the equalizer goes, I am interested.

Will do! I got one of those 10" double din Android head units...and it only has a 2 rca output in the back. So I grabbed a EQ, turns a L+R in to LR front LR rear and LR sub rca outputs, all with their own gain/frequency control. The other bits I have are a nice little 400w 4ch for the front/rear door speakers, and a 1000w 2ch for the 8" subs that are going in the rear deck replacing the 6x9 subs. And I have a low line converter tuned to the high frequencys for the console tweeters (I can't stand having unused speakers (they will be mixed to mono) and then I have to make a little amp rack to sit inside my spare tire in the well. Hopefully finish it by the end of the month. Will do a write-up with pictures when it's all sorted!

Members online

Back