2000 still running rough

Cams-76

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hope it is ok to post a new thread I have a few others but those were focused on other problems and fixes that I don't think are the problem now.
. Here is what I has done to the car to try and fix this problem.
All new plugs and cops plugs gapped correctly
New throttle position sensor
New valve cover gaskets
New secondary timing chains and tensioners
Lined up cam flats

The drivers side tensioner came apart and the the chain almost broke but it was still hanging on. After all the things I did to it the car is still running rough and has a slight tick or knock. When listening to the exhaust it has a loud lope. Anyone have suggestions?

how bad were the cams out of whack? you COULD have light valve damage...

Well the drivers side cam furthest away from the middle of the engine( I think exhaust cam?) was the one out of whack. It only looked like it was about a tooth off but I am not sure if the chain was constantly skipping teeth, the chain was holding on by half a link when I opened it up. How do I check for valve damage?

Yes, the outside ones are the exhaust cams.
With the engine assembled, do a compression test and a leak down test on each cylinder. That may tell you. Otherwise, remove the head and examine the valves and the pistons.

i have never done a leak down or compression test. i guess its time i buy the tools to do it. can i get both kits off ebay? im thinking it would be wise to do the tests rather than to pull the heads off? how hard is pulling the head?

I'm trying to do a compression test right now but don't know where to hook up the remote start button? Help anyone. Can't see the start and too late to put it on ramps and get under it to get to it.

Also the spark plugs in the drivers side, same side that had the timing problem are pretty black compared to pass side plugs. They are good nkg iridium plugs. Can they be cleaned up or should I get new?

the black is carbon caused by the lack of oxygen to burn the fuel completely.

Although that may seem simple, the cause(s) may not be. Causes can be:

Correct amount of fuel but incorrect amount of oxygen
Correct amount of oxygen but too much fuel
Lack of compression to support complete combustion
Poor spark to start a good combustion
Cold engine temps that don't support proper vaporization

You would connect it to the "S" terminal on the starter motor/solenoid assembly.

Ok I pulled off a red cap on the smaller part of the starter there are two terminals. Put one clip on each? It seems like the starter is making a very odd noise when I do that and it doesn't seem to turn the engine over. But when I turn it over with ignition key it makes open odd noise also. I would think I would be able to hear the pistons going up and down.

I don't understand all of what you are saying.
Yes, you would connect one wire to the "B" terminal (large one under the cap) and the other wire to the "S" terminal (small one under the cap).
This should give you the same result as turning the key, except that there will be no fuel injected and no ignition.

Ok I must not be seeing the large terminal. Both terminals I saw we're under one red cap on the solenoid of the starter.

I think I might have lucked out and don't have valve damage. The knocking I was hearing hearing was my dumb self leaving a hose unhooked from that plastic piece that is at the back of the engine. And I also think the slight rough running might be fouled plugs on the drivers side from when the timing was off. I'll post a pics of the plugs, can they be cleaned instead of replacing. The only have a little run time very little,

Here are the plugs darker plugs are all out of the drivers side.

image.jpg

i would use a quick drying liquid...and a old tooth brush.

90% strength alcohol, brake or carburetor/injector cleaner or mineral spirits are good choices.

So any idea of why the starter all of a sudden isnt turning the engjne over? Makin a very quiet spinning noise. I may have hooked the remote start up wrong but it is still making that noise when turned over with te ignitikn.

So any idea of why the starter all of a sudden isnt turning the engjne over? Makin a very quiet spinning noise. I may have hooked the remote start up wrong but it is still making that noise when turned over with te ignitikn.
Is it possible that you have somehow messed up the solenoid on the starter? It sounds like the solenoid isn't pulling the starter gear in.

I might have, not sure. I don't think these spark plugs are cleanable. I tried carb cleaner and a tooth brush and they are stil black. It the white part in the middle ok to be black? Seems like the tiny metal part is what I should clean?

I've used a torch to clean fouled plugs in my toys, but just get new ones.

Installed four new plugs and gapped them. All plugs in everything plugged in and it still has a vibration when running. Starter seems to start the car right up now. I still need to figure this vibration out.

Well I found a loose injector wire and that seemed to smooth up the shake the car had. I'm going to take the drivers side valve cover back off and reinstall it is leaking. Also going to remove oil pan to make sure there aren't any peices from the broken tensioner. Hopefully good to go after that.

Members online

No members online now.
Back