2000 pulling to the left

Cams-76

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
The cars steering wheel is cocked to the right a little bit when the car is heading straight down the road and when you let off the wheel it pulls hard to the left. It is kind of a chore to drive now. The car is driven down a road that has some bad pot holes so I'm guessing that is the cause. Can I adjust this back to straight? I have never worked on a cars steering before only bigger trucks/4x4's. Car has about 120k miles on it and is lowered 1 inch(was lowered long before this problem). Tire air pressure is good I check that to make sure.

You really need a four wheel alignment. If you don't have the machine to do this, then it's not a DIY. If you have a ask about it, it's not a DIY.

If the wheel is off it does need and alignment but the steering shifting from one direction to another when letting off the gas is a sign of a worn steering or suspension component well worn and allowing that shift. Ball joint, tie rod ends, the steering rack, control arm bushings, even the upper mounts for the struts could be suspect and need to be checked before you do an alignment so you're not wasting the money and need to get it done again after finding the worn component(s) and replacing.

I wouldn't wait on that either. If a ball joint failed, your entire wheel could potentially come off the car. It won't come off clean either, it'll beat the crap out of the fender and fenderwell and could possibly get into the door and the front fascia.

I had the drivers side lower ball joint fail already. When I replaced it was not a greats able joint. Is this normal? The way the car is driving it feels like the power steering is out. Hard to turn the wheel and has a lot of bump steer

I haven't taken the time to tear into it, been driving another car.

The way the car is driving it feels like the power steering is out. Hard to turn the wheel and has a lot of bump steer

well I guess you could also have a power steering problem as well as the car being out of alignment...

Wow I looked at my front tires that just a few months ago were wearing evenly and the inside two or three inches is worn to the threads and the rest of the tire is fine. Thinking maybe the upper ball joints? Not sure about the struts, the previous owner has a professional shop lower the car one inch all the way around

Members online

Back