2000 LS won't start.

Timbo55

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2000 LS V8 with 100250 total miles. Replaced the engine at 98K due to a timing chain bailing at 65mph. Replacement eng has 54K.

One month ago the battery died. I replaced it "with matching battery with vent" and all was well.

Monday night I got in the car to drive home and it would not start. Plenty of power, all bells and lights turn on when I turned the key but at the "start" position there is just a little clicking at the relay in the engine compartment fuse box. I checked all fuses for anything connected to the starting proceedure and all are ok. I called the dealership and the srvs guy walked me through the position of the shifter, the alarm light, thinking the car may think it's being stolen, still nothing. I did run up on a parking bumper just prior to the last shutdown while backing up. The car jumped a little, so I checked the fuel reset button but it was not popped up for reset. Is there a reset for the electrical system?

Has anyone else had this issue?

Thank you.

Timbo

It could be the starter, the solenoid on the starter, the starter relay (in the fuse box), the control wiring, or the power wiring to the starter. If you have a voltmeter, you can do some simple troubleshooting to determine which of the above is your issue.

just because there is enough power to turn on all the lights and bells, doesn't mean that there is enough power to turn the starter, make sure that the battery is FULLY charged and that the PATS light on the dash is not blinking while you are turning the key

Thanks folks. I just found out where the starter is and will soon jack it and remove the pass side front wheel for access. I did put the jumpers on it at first thinking the battery may have run down a little but nothing worked. This newer engine is sweet because in the 18 months I have had it I never had to replace any Coil Packs..the previous engine blew them out monthly. I hated starting it and seeing the check engine, then checking the codes to see what cylinder needed another 100 bucks.

After 20 or so years of surburban ownership, kids are grown-n-gone, this LS is a hoot to drive. I have 20 inch rims and always have the youngsters in the weedwhackers wanting to race the old man...lol I don't go there although I could smoke alot of them.

Timbo

Members online

No members online now.
Back