2000 LS water pump failure

joespanova

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm going to "attempt" to trouble shoot my 2000 LS ( v8 ) this weekend ( over heating ).
How often have you guys heard of water pump failures in these cars?

Depending on the miles the water pump have on it, it's not rare to hear of the plastic failing. I just replaced mines earlier this year I have a 2002 v8 and the plastic lip was broken and rotted pretty bad, where the O ring sits, when uncoupled from the motor, the lip stayed in I had to use my finger to clean it out. I posted pictures of how it looks, they are in my profile folder.

I'm going to "attempt" to trouble shoot my 2000 LS ( v8 ) this weekend ( over heating ).
How often have you guys heard of water pump failures in these cars?

There are far, far more common causes of overheating of an LS (especially 1st gen) than the water pump.

+627

my money would be on a failing fan system and failing plastic cooling parts like everybody else that chases overheat problems. but then again, you could be that 1 out of every 1,338 LSs where the water pump was actually the problem...

Mine dumped all the coolant when it failed. It then happened again a year later and was fixed under warranty.

There are far, far more common causes of overheating of an LS (especially 1st gen) than the water pump.
Joe , once again .......and give this man a cigar.......you are correct.
Turned out to be the crossover pipe at thermostat.......cracked and obvious leak. Must be a Ford only item.............the 2 parts stores Napa / O Rielley were no help.

Finally an easy fix.

thats the part that failed first on my car (well the 2nd gen version anyway) most of the other parts broke while taking everything else apart to replace it...

Members online

Back