2000 ls v8 tapping noise

JustALs

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I can hear a faint tapping noise coming from the top of the intake manifold/plenum.
Not sure if its the valve shims but tought it might be it
Where can I find shims are they removable or they are a bucket assembly? for these engine I looked everywhere but couldn't find any
Even looked for the whole bucket but no luck

New secondary chains and tensioners on boths sides, no cam lobe wear that I see. I always changed the oil and filter full syn mobil 1 5-30 each 8k.

Cylinder compression 180PSI on both banks, cleaned the fuel injectors.
Always ran 91octane.

No missfire

Thx

Your weather is probably as cold (or colder) than where I live.

Try switching to Mobil 5w-20.

You may even see your fuel milage increase.

Save the 5w-30 for summer time.

Yes down to -10 average
Your saying I should use 5w20 in winter and 5w30 for summer?

That noise could also be your injectors making their normal sounds. Grab something to use as a stethoscope (or a mechanic's stethoscope) like a long handled screwdriver and put the handle end up against your ear flap and put the tip on things up there and listen for the same sound you are hearing in the open air. Once you locate that sound, you will know what is making it. And I think that Ford changed the oil spec to 5W-20 for all LS engines. If I was in Canada, I would also be using 0W20 in the winter.

5w20 is not needed under any cold weather circumstances. fuel economy reasons only.

first you need to check clearance with a feeler gauge and then buy the shims. there is a special tool to compress the valve springs so you can fish the shim out with a magnet. otherwise cams have to come out.

shims can be bought from jaguar

5w20 is not needed under any cold weather circumstances. fuel economy reasons only.

first you need to check clearance with a feeler gauge and then buy the shims. there is a special tool to compress the valve springs so you can fish the shim out with a magnet. otherwise cams have to come out.

shims can be bought from jaguar
I do have a few valve spring compressors laying arround, will be checking clearance and then remove all the cams since I dont have the special tool.

I will tackle this job in a few days when the weather starts getting warmer

Do you have a link for those shims?

just wanted to make sure is the new shim size = (measured valve clearance – specified valve clearance) + old shim size

Thanks

I do have a few valve spring compressors laying arround, will be checking clearance and then remove all the cams since I dont have the special tool.

I will tackle this job in a few days when the weather starts getting warmer

Do you have a link for those shims?

just wanted to make sure is the new shim size = (measured valve clearance – specified valve clearance) + old shim size

Thanks
correct. if the cam is out you can just fish the shim out with a magnet and you’re good to go.

79DBCA47-8778-4761-91AB-508A5320BDD6.jpeg

I respectfully disagree. During the early years of my LS ownership... I ran the M1 5-20 in the summer (90 degree+ temps). The top end of the engine sounded like a tired sewing machine from the 1940's.

I can also say that 5-30 is too thick for sub zero temps. The cam phasers don't like it. Or maybe I should say the oil control solenoids for the phasers don't.

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree. During the early years of my LS ownership... I ran the M1 5-20 in the summer (90 degree+ temps). The top end of the engine sounded like a tired sewing machine from the 1940's.

I can also say that 5-30 is too thick for sub zero temps. The cam phasers don't like it. Or maybe I should say the oil control solenoids for the phasers don't.
those same phasers are whisper quiet on cold start with 10w60, they are designed for a wide variety of temps. regardless 5w30 and 5w20 at sub-zero are going to have similar CCS viscosity.

some oils are just noisier than others, regardless of grade.

C0F83B41-B3CB-43E5-B266-5477A20F9D01.jpeg

Last edited:
Depends on what climate you live in. I used to use that for a couple of years... but the cam phasers rattled pretty loud until the engine warmed up.

You only changed the secondary tensioners?
That usually does not end well. Why did you not change ALL the tensioner stuff? At this late date it all needs replaced.

You only changed the secondary tensioners?
That usually does not end well. Why did you not change ALL the tensioner stuff? At this late date it all needs replaced.
If you read the first post I said I replaced the chains too and the main chain wouldn't make the noise im hearing its right on top of the intake plenum . I checked the main too while in there and the phasers they looked good chain had no slack.
Engine runs good so it probably wont cause me a problem ..
Might just be a belt tensioner , oil or injector noise like 04 stated above. Will find out when I change my oil again

Alright true lol
This is the reason why us lincoln ls owners get hated on, we're all asshats lol

Sorry I missed that! But you only mention replacing the secondary tensioners and secondary chains?

Yeah
it only started to make the noise like a month or two after , might have bought and used some different oil than I normaly use.
Looking at my used jugs i found a 0-30 so i guess that is what i used . Bought it in a hurry taught I had grabbed the 5-30

When it comes to engine oil for the LS... I would stay away from anything that says "Dexos" on the label. It's for GM vehicles. I grabbed some by accident 2 oil changes ago... and had heavy consumption. (the LS... not me);)

all half decent standard oils have dexos. dexos 1g2 and g3 is API SP/ILSAC GF-6 with extra tests.

unless you go into bargain basement oils or european formulas it will be very hard to avoid.

I run non Dexos... Euro Mobil 1 synthetic oil in my LS. Yes... it can be hard to find at a reasonable price... but my local O'reilly's will price match the nearest "big box store".

Members online

Back