2000 ls v8 sport package! sputtering need some advice please

04turbostang

LVC Member
Reaction score
hey guys, my brother sold me his 2000 ls - its a great car. the problem were having is during idle and when it shifts into the last gear it sputters,(misses)

we have replaced all the coils, and plugs, we also checked for oil leaks in plug holes. what else can we do? its really getting on my nerves.
the coils we bought were online they were 150 bucks for all eight. i still do have the old coils. im waiting for engine light comes on, to see if it is a misfire, then replace coil, but still no engine light.

any help and advice would be great.

today i noticed if the engine is cold. then start it. as long as i dont hit the gas pedal , it will idle just fine. and i can also rev it 1-3 times. then once i let off. and it settles back down to idling it will start the shaking/sputtering.

what other things should i look at to trouble shoot.

thanks brett

Glad you made it here. Would not hurt to clean MAF like mentioned. To get more input you should also say you used 150 dollar set of 8 COPS. Just want you to get more input.

hey guys, my brother sold me his 2000 ls - its a great car. the problem were having is during idle and when it shifts into the last gear it sputters,(misses)

we have replaced all the coils, and plugs, we also checked for oil leaks in plug holes. what else can we do? its really getting on my nerves.
the coils we bought were online they were 150 bucks for all eight. i still do have the old coils. im waiting for engine light comes on, to see if it is a misfire, then replace coil, but still no engine light.

any help and advice would be great.

today i noticed if the engine is cold. then start it. as long as i dont hit the gas pedal , it will idle just fine. and i can also rev it 1-3 times. then once i let off. and it settles back down to idling it will start the shaking/sputtering.

what other things should i look at to trouble shoot.

thanks brett

It may be a good idea to scan it and see if you have any pending codes. The cheapie COP's are know for having a few faulty ones in every set. The odds are good that you have one or two bad COP's (even though they're new)

Bad gas owned me a few monthes ago so. I changed the filter. finished off the tank and then 1 more and replaced the filter again and now all is good.

Bad gas owned me a few monthes ago so. I changed the filter. finished off the tank and then 1 more and replaced the filter again and now all is good.

Similar thing happened to me a few years ago.

The cheapie COP's are know for having a few faulty ones in every set. The odds are good that you have one or two bad COP's (even though they're new)

agreed, its been seen a few times where when buying cheap coils, one or more have been DOA

today i noticed if the engine is cold. then start it. as long as i dont hit the gas pedal , it will idle just fine. and i can also rev it 1-3 times. then once i let off. and it settles back down to idling it will start the shaking/sputtering....

Here's a long shot. Tap on the IAC with a small hammer next time it goes to sputtering at idle. If that affects it, you may need to clean or replace your IAC.

today i cleaned out the IAC valve ,cleaned the maf , added fuel stabilizer, and injector cleaner didn't make a difference.

i also tried this, started the car, and unplugged each coil (harness plug) at a time. to see if it made a engine change(rpm) and each coil that i unplugged made the engine stumble even worse. so im thinking that coils are are working properly.

we did change fuel filter about 2 months ago. but i may install a new one. i do know that he always he 87 gas. but on the gas cap it clearly states (91) so im going to full up with 93 and add a booster in as well.

i hooked up obd scanner and NO codes were on but, there was a yellow light on instead of green, so i think he may have erased it, i guess i will have to wait untill it shows up again.

again, at idle it doesnt sputters a lot, but its enough to feel the car shake (very slightly) and once i get into 5th gear (auto) it really BUCKS, 5th gear it gets bad, but if i keep it in 4th its fine,

its almost like when ever the car is in low rpm it does it the worst

any other ideas ??? thanks again for the help, i really hope i can get this resolved.

i also tried this, started the car, and unplugged each coil (harness plug) at a time. to see if it made a engine change(rpm) and each coil that i unplugged made the engine stumble even worse. so im thinking that coils are are working properly.

the only problem with this test is that coils for the LS rarely ever fully fail, but instead only marginally fail, which means that most of the time they still could be firing on time.

the only problem with this test is that coils for the LS rarely ever fully fail, but instead only marginally fail, which means that most of the time they still could be firing on time.

ok, i was wondering about that, well i did save the other 8 that were on there befre, so hopefully i'll get a cel, that points me to the right cylinder

at first off thank you all for your wonderful help. today the engine light finally came on!!!! cylinder 2 misfire, i got a replacement coil when pulling the coil boot off i noticed some white powder on end of coil boot. to only find out that it was porcelain from the spark plug!!!! not sure what happened. well anyways i pulled the plug and its all jacked up. i have no idea what happened, it looks even worse in person!

i replaced all spark plugs, took her for a drive and man, it cleared it right up. drives amazing.

only reason i never checked plugs before was he had a mechanic replace then few thousand miles ago. so i figured they were fine.

here what plug looked like!!!

thanks again. now ill go drink some beer!! have a great weekend , brett

photo9yl.jpg

at first off thank you all for your wonderful help. today the engine light finally came on!!!! cylinder 2 misfire, i got a replacement coil when pulling the coil boot off i noticed some white powder on end of coil boot. to only find out that it was porcelain from the spark plug!!!! not sure what happened. well anyways i pulled the plug and its all jacked up. i have no idea what happened, it looks even worse in person!

i replaced all spark plugs, took her for a drive and man, it cleared it right up. drives amazing.

only reason i never checked plugs before was he had a mechanic replace then few thousand miles ago. so i figured they were fine.

here what plug looked like!!!

thanks again. now ill go drink some beer!! have a great weekend , brett

photo9yl.jpg

I dont think that plug is new (7000) miles like you said in your other thread. That thing looks like it has LOTS of miles on it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back