2000 Ls v8 Rough Idle >No Oil In Plugs + Still Does 120MPH!!

chanceone559

New LVC Member
Reaction score
:eek: The gaskets were replaced ASAP (About 8 months ago) When I checked yesterday there was NO oil in the chambers (Passenger side, 1-2-3-4 please let me know if that is wrong). All of the coils on this side have the same light "green" sticker on them (are these OE?) The car has not too many miles & has been pampered since ownership. This is my grandmothers car & When this problem started they told her the engine was shot & her timing has jumped & she would be better off getting a new car (She owns the ls outright & in Mint condition...Other than the current problem LoL, she declined & they quoted her 4,000+ to fix the problem...Seems cheap seeing how they wanted her just to get a new car = $30,000+ So I Told her to get the car out of the service shop the next day (Lincoln Mercury dealer/Service)they replied "If its put back together" They called the following day saying its was ready for pick up. She told them she would be there after work Around 4 they said that was not going to due & the car needs to be out of there now, So we picked it up. I drove it last night on the freeway & ran the rpm's up & coasted @ 120 with ease but @ a light rpm's only drop to right under the 1000 mark with a chug chug noise BUT STILL HAS ALOT OF POWER!!!!

COULD A CAR PERFORM LIKE A CHAMP BUT STILL BE A CHIT BOX?...Is there any chance the engine is garbage like the dealer made my grandmother assume?

No Smoke, No Lack Of Power, No Leaks, Plugs Look A Little White But Clean,

However,

Intake Is Filthy (Throat Of Intake), Fuel Filter Might Have Never Been Changed, Has A Clunk Clunk Clunk....quiet.......Clunk Clunk Clunk.......quiet.....Clunk Clunk Clunk....... Sounds to be coming off the side I changed the coil,

Could I have Missed The Plug Connector (Top Of Plugs) & the coil is arcing inside the chamber? Can I use A Plug Checker (Plug onto the the plug & insert it into the coil< Has a clear window to see spark>) without damaging anything? Or is there a level where I could measure the voltage of the plug going into the coil with a meter?

I had a problem with the misfiring on another car & had to unplug the battery For quite some time then run it @ a certain rmp for 2 minutes then drove for XXX amount of miles to setup the computer then unplug the ckps and run the car for a bit then plug it in & the car rearranges the data & order.... Any chance & could do the same to setup the firing order?

I do not know much of the DEW98 just that it has done well in other Situations & In The 05 mustang Ford had "Fixed" the common issues associated with this engine

Thanx In Advance

I'm not really sure, but it seems like that was a lot of rambling. Let me see if I can make sense of this... there is a clunking sound coming from the side of the engine you replaced the coils on. Car runs well on the top end, but makes a chug chug noise?

does it make this sound when idling in park? Neutral? Drive with the brakes on? Under acceleration? Coasting?

Does it seem like a misfire or something else?

Does the CEL come on?

PS. The S197 mustang (05-up) shares only a small section of the floor boards and the software architecture of the ECU. The two platforms are virtually unrelated, and most certainly do not share engines. Only the retro thunderbird shared the DEW98 platform with the Lincoln.

Members online

No members online now.
Back