2000 LS transmission E P0745

Justin00LS

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Today on the highway I gave it about 40% gas to downshift to 4th to pass a car and the RPMs bounced around 4500RPM and the car did not accelerate. The E "error" came on the display along with check transmission. I immediately pulled over and used the XCAL2 to pull the codes. I got P0734 and P0745.

The car now acts like it is in neutral in D5, D4, and reverse and barely moves. I managed to push the car to get it rolling and then got it to a safe spot off the road by using SST, which works, but has extremely harsh shifting, if it decides to shift. Every gear still somewhat works with the SST but I don't get anywhere in reverse/D4/D5.
I ended up towing the car back home.

My car has the 3.9L with 120K miles on it and has always shifted smooth and felt great. I believe it is just the pressure control solenoid that is bad based on how it acts, but I would like to be sure before I tear the transmission apart. Should I risk replacing this soleonoid or should I just seek out another transmission?

Has anyone replaced the PCS solenoid themselves? Can the engine/transmission be dropped down and the solenoid replaced without removing the transmission from the car?

Did a search and came up with P0745 = Pressure Control Solenoid Malfunction.

and p0734 is "incorrect 4th gear ratio".

I believe that this code was thrown because I was trying to "use" fourth gear when the problem with the transmission initially occured.

The reason that I'm thinking that the transmission is not totally junk is because the car will drive and pull normal once its in a gear, its just switching between any gear is exteremely harsh/and or it may take a few trys to get it to engage.

Another question...Is the solenoid pack an entire unit with multiple solenoids that is accessed through the transmission pan, or can I just replace one of the solenoids?

Ford says that the solenoid can not be replaced and that a "pack" of solenoids must be replaced. From how it sounds, the solenoids appear to be pretty easy to access after you drop the transmission pan. If this "pack" does not fix my problem, I think I will replace the entire transmission with a junkyard one :(

I just had a solenoid replaced in my tranny last week, under warranty, and the job list shows that they removed the oil pan, replaced the gasket and filled with new fluid. so I'd say you'd be safe in assuming that you don't need to drop the tranny to do the work.

I had a tranny solenoid replaced a while back. Just started extremely harsh shifts one day and gave the "E" message. It did not have any problem starting off or engaging reverse though, just very, very harsh shifts unless I really babied the gas.

$500 to replace at my local shop. They just dropped the pan, not the tranny.

Lincoln ls p0745.

I am still having the same problem. I replaced the Solenoid pack twice and still have no luck. The packs are from a used car, and I dont think both packs are bad. It is the same problem. 3rd gear to 4th is lagging.

Members online

No members online now.
Back