2000 LS Tranny additive ?

rivman

LVC Member
Reaction score
I know this is an issue that has surfaced many times on this page; but what is the true deal with the early 00's and the tranny. I have had my LS for about 3 years and have put up with the delayed shift from reverse to Drive. I finally called my local Lincoln dealership and they said an additive needs to be put into the tranny to correct the problem. I understand Ford was doing this for free for awhile but they say this program has expired. Does this really fix the problem?:confused: At times it can be several mintues for it to engage into drive and it does feel like someone just rear ended the car! Usaully gets better with the warmer temps outside; but not really this year. I have 111,000 miles and just had the valve cover/coil pack deal done. Other then that the car has been great. Oh, except for the drivers side heated seat going out and the trunk leak (which I believe has shorted out the amp for the radio). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

By now Id say its about time for it to get serviced anyway regardless of it beeing free or not. If you have doubts have them add some Lucas tranny stuff, that should really help you out.

By now Id say its about time for it to get serviced anyway regardless of it beeing free or not. If you have doubts have them add some Lucas tranny stuff, that should really help you out.

negative, don't put any additives in there. i put lucas additives in all my fluids, and it 'seemed' to speed up the valve body going bad. plus the experiments i have seen on the internet of adding additives almost made me sh!t. in my opinion when they experiment and what not with the fluids while making them, they are not taking into consideration any additives. i could see if you had non synthetic in there though then you could maybe throw some lucas. but how would i know i don't run anything if its not fully synthetic

I dont know about that all I see are good reviews and good self exp. with Lucas.

But at least get it a anual service.

I dont know about that all I see are good reviews and good self exp. with Lucas.

But at least get it a anual service.

of course. i actually use to put additives when i was taking my old 93 grand cherokee for 10 hour rides. so i'm not totally against it just am against it in my ls.

Dealer now says no to additive

Thanks for the reply's! I was at a b-day party tonight and missed a call from the service manager at my Lincoln dealer. He says after talking with the tech the additive will not fix the problem. I guess I will have to wait until this AM to find out the suggestion. There has to be a simple fix. The car has done this for years. My Dad had it before me and had the same problem. The difference being he had it garaged and that seemed to keep it "warmer" and the shift did not take as long from reverse to drive. And then again it seems like over the years it does it more. Anybody else had an early production LS that had the same problem? The tranny, outside of the delayed shift, is fine. No other problems. Yes some of the shifts could be smoother; but what are you going to do? Was this the first 5-speed auto from Ford? Could this be a solenoid issue that I have seen some posts about?

Sounds like the solenoid pack is failing. There is an updated version that goes for around $200+ installation. I did mine myself about 30K miles ago.

Members online

No members online now.
Back