2000 LS Sunroof Question

craigh

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Just rebuilt my sunroof and it did not fix the issue. So i called junkyards today looking for a sunroof and multiple yards told me that the 2000 had a mid year change in the sunroof and I needed to measure to see if I had the right one. The said that the sunroof are backwards compatible but not forward. Does anyone know the date when the changeover occurred? Of course they did not tell me what to measure so I am kind of running blind here if I buy a used sunroof. Any insight from anyone?

Up through 08/22/2000 was the original version.

The revised version started 08/23/2000.

Not sure what the difference is. Call your local dealer and give them the last 8 digits of your VIN#. They might be able to help you... but I doubt the OEM sunroof is still available.

Shouldn't make a difference if the build date of your LS was after August 23rd, 2000.

what was your sunroof doing im curious bc I had an issue with mine and replaced it, I've got another entire assembly in my garage from a 2002 that works, it just repeatedly stopped and didn't work on auto open, replaced it with new unit and same exact thing so I am thinking its possibly got to be initialized, idk I haven't looked into it more bc it opens and closes just not on auto.

I replaced my moon roof/ sun roof without an issue ...junk yard used $50

I feel for you Linc615, mine won't stay open unless the engine is running, which usually does not bother me with all the crap blowing in the wind here, especially this time of year. What does bother me is when the roof closes, it closes all the way, then drops a 1/4 inch along the back edge which makes wind noise. Has anyone else had this issue? What's the fix? I'm thinking there is a locking mechanism that is jammed with pollen and tree flowers. I'll be cleaning that area out later this spring which means it will have to stay open while I clean it which means the engine will be running while I do it. So how do LS's respond to long periods of idling?

You may find this helpful.

Up through 08/22/2000 was the original version.

The revised version started 08/23/2000.

Not sure what the difference is. Call your local dealer and give them the last 8 digits of your VIN#. They might be able to help you... but I doubt the OEM sunroof is still available.

Shouldn't make a difference if the build date of your LS was after August 23rd, 2000.
Hello Do you know what moonroofs are interchangeable with the 1997 Mark VIII LSC
thank you

what was your sunroof doing im curious bc I had an issue with mine and replaced it, I've got another entire assembly in my garage from a 2002 that works, it just repeatedly stopped and didn't work on auto open, replaced it with new unit and same exact thing so I am thinking its possibly got to be initialized, idk I haven't looked into it more bc it opens and closes just not on auto.

I am fairly tenacious when it comes to fixing my LS and I did locate the issue with the sunroof not working. My sunroof would open, but only a few millimeters at a time. To fully open the sunroof I may have had to hit the switch 60 or 70 times. Real pain in the ass. So I bought another sunroof and that did not work at all. I also bought a sunroof rebuild kit that has the sliding mechanisms, grease, rivets. The whole nine yards. It was not until I took the entire sunroof apart that I realized that some of the sliding mechanism's had broken. What I learned from this is that if you have the sunroof out for any reason, just buy the rebuild kit and rebuild it. Only about $40 and well worth it. But even after rebuilding it still did not open all the way without stopping. So I bought another motor on ebay. Well that was not the issue. So I pulled the controller apart. There is a timing gear in the mechanism that has some switch contacts on it that when rotated makes contact with areas on a circuit board to control the sunroof and set the stops for travel. The fix was to clean those contacts with some QD spray. Regrease the assembly and reassemble the controller. Then reinstall the sunroof by following the re-timing of the sunroof mechanism to the controller. Works great now and I am am finally getting it all back together. Will be a day or two before I have it completed, but then I can get the LS back on the road and out of it's winter nap.

Members online

No members online now.
Back