2000 LS Sunroof issues

Bubba 14

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
On my 2000 LS the sunroof is now stuck in a semi-closed position. The rear of the glass panel is tilted slightly upward, creating air entry and noise at highway speeds. I was going to take a look at the mechanics of the unit but the interior trim sliding panel is stuck closed and will not slide back. Anyone know a way to get this panel to slide back so I can assess the situation? Hope I do not have to force it. Also, Is there a method to seal this gap until a permanent fix can be budgeted in?

On my 2000 LS the sunroof is now stuck in a semi-closed position. The rear of the glass panel is tilted slightly upward, creating air entry and noise at highway speeds. I was going to take a look at the mechanics of the unit but the interior trim sliding panel is stuck closed and will not slide back. Anyone know a way to get this panel to slide back so I can assess the situation? Hope I do not have to force it. Also, Is there a method to seal this gap until a permanent fix can be budgeted in?
Unfortunately there is plastic and thin rod iron holding the electronic moon roof in place on tracks ...I've had to delve into my 2002 LSE moon roof also because it's a total mess ...only way to unjam it may be to break it free from the track which means you will be breaking crucial parts ...if you're keeping the car for awhile you may want to bring it to a professional

Also, Is there a method to seal this gap until a permanent fix can be budgeted in?

You could try the aluminum furnace tape used to seal ductwork. It is very tacky and will stick to almost any clean surface. It is also form-able and sticks to itself.

It can later be removed with some "goo gone" and a plastic scraper. Do NOT use standard duct tape. It is not as weather resistant.

. I was going to take a look at the mechanics of the unit but the interior trim sliding panel is stuck closed and will not slide back.

Sounds like those 2 problems are related. If you haven't already... you could try toggling the switch for the roof back and forth, (up and down), while simultaneously trying to slide the panel.

The glass and interior panel somehow hook together when the glass is closed. That way... when the glass is retracted... the panel moves with it.

My guess is that somehow the "hook", (catch on the panel), somehow got in front of the mating piece on the glass... and they are now wedged together on the wrong side of each other. That's why it only closed part way.

I hope that made sense.

You may not want to hear this... but you will probably have to drop the headliner... or short cut by cutting the panel out with a utility knife..
and then getting a replacement panel from a boneyard at a later date.

Managed to "Jiggle" the panel around, freeing up the interior sliding panel, and enabling the glass panel to seat properly. Will pull the fuse on the sunroof until I can figure out a permanent repair.

Members online

No members online now.
Back