2000 LS rear bumper question

MadProfessor

LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm new to the Forum so I apologize if this question has been covered before but I couldn't find anything using the search function.
I need to replace the rear bumper chrome trim but can't seem to find an exploded diagram showing the removal process.
Can someone point me in the direction of a diagram or tell me how to replace it?
Does the whole bumper need to come off or can the trim be removed by itself?
Thanks for your help everyone,
MadProfessor...

There's no reason to remove the actual bumper, but it probably is a lot more practical to do if you remove the bumper cover.

s6x%7Eus%7Een%7Efile=a0096242.gif%7Egen%7Eref.gif

Item Part Number Description
1 54406A64 Luggage compartment scuff plate
2 5440352 Luggage compartment back trim panel
3 5445422 Luggage compartment RH trim panel
4 5445423 Luggage compartment LH trim panel
5 — Rear bumper cover inner fender screws (4 required)
6 — Rear bumper cover screws (2 required)
7 17K835 Rear bumper cover
8 N807168 Rear bumper isolator rivets (2 required)
9 17787 Rear bumper isolator
10 380262 Rear exhaust hanger
11 W701835 Rear bumper bolts (4 required)
12 17906 Rear bumper

Cover removal: 2006 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual

Thanks for the diagram but that appears to be a different year bumper cover,it doesn't appear to have the chrome trim strip that runs full length from side to side.

Thanks for the diagram but that appears to be a different year bumper cover,it doesn't appear to have the chrome trim strip that runs full length from side to side.
Yes, it's the gen II sport bumper. Still, it should be close enough for you to get there. When you take the cover off, there will be some tabs to move to be able to pull the chrome off.

My main question/concern was whether or not the whole cover needs to be pulled to access the chrome strip mounts.
I'm gathering that it will need to be pulled......
Thanks for your help.....appreciate it.

My main question/concern was whether or not the whole cover needs to be pulled to access the chrome strip mounts.
I'm gathering that it will need to be pulled......
Thanks for your help.....appreciate it.
Is the chrome broken or is the paint wore off?

The previous owner caught the right front on something,tweaking it and breaking the mounting tabs on the back plus the chrome is cracked now.
I tried to secure it back with 3m tape but it's bent a little and won't hold down flat.
I'm just going to replace it.

when I had my rear bumper off on my 1st gen, the clips that hold the strips on to the chrome on looked like they would be near impossible to remove and get back on with out the bumper cover being fully removed. pulling bumpers is not really that hard, I personally wouldn't even try it without just pulling the cover off the car.

The previous owner caught the right front on something,tweaking it and breaking the mounting tabs on the back plus the chrome is cracked now.
I tried to secure it back with 3m tape but it's bent a little and won't hold down flat.
I bought a 2000 Lincoln LS Bumper fo $100 off of Craigslist...plenty of LSes out there being parted out...I wish you the best

Members online

No members online now.
Back