2000 LS lower ball joint source??

jodg4au

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Lower ball joint in right front starting to make some noise on rough roads. Need to replace, but the dealer won't sell just the ball joint (got to buy the whole knuckle assembly).

Anybody know where I can buy just the ball?

Thx,
JC
'00 v6

This seems to be the way the industry has gone.

Wasn't there a recall or service bulletin for early 2000s for bad ball joints or am I imagining it?

pragmatic said:
This seems to be the way the industry has gone.

Wasn't there a recall or service bulletin for early 2000s for bad ball joints or am I imagining it?

Yes there was, mine actually snapped/sheared in 2. The wheel went completely sideways at oh about 60. Not fun! At least the road wasn't crowded. I hope this helps and GO EAGLES!!

Any news on the ball joint issue? I just discovered that my driver side lower is a little loose with 60k miles on it. I'm sorry but this "lubed for life" crap is just that... Crap. Give me a grease zerk, and I'll outlast the motor!

you might be able to get it covered as an after warranty adjustment if the warranty has expired meaning if you do not have an extended warranty.. AWAs are freebie jobs and Ford can grant up to 2 AWAs per vehicle. Since your milage is so low I would say you are almost assured to get approval.

:W 2 :V

In 2003 Lincoln increased the size of the ball joint on the LS.
Of course you cannot just replace a ball joint as the large vertical aluminum knuckle is part of the ball joint. Remember the 2003 and newer uses the larger improved parts. These can be used on the 00 model if the techs know what they're doing.

Ball Joints

Not to rub it in !!!

But I have 140,000 miles on my 2000...

I have my spindle (ball joint assembly) on order at this time...

Considering the other post in here, I guess I got lucky 140,000....

funkcity said:
In 2003 Lincoln increased the size of the ball joint on the LS.
Of course you cannot just replace a ball joint as the large vertical aluminum knuckle is part of the ball joint. Remember the 2003 and newer uses the larger improved parts. These can be used on the 00 model if the techs know what they're doing.

Do you know what has to be done to do this? Can the lower control arm be drilled for that 16mm balljoint stud to fit? It just ticks me off that I have to spend $80.00 more for an inferior part. I already have the new knuckle for the driver's side, but didn't order the passenger side yet. Ford would probably have you replace the lower control arm with the newer version to do it. That's probably a $250-$300 part. :(

lsbit said:
Do you know what has to be done to do this? Can the lower control arm be drilled for that 16mm balljoint stud to fit? It just ticks me off that I have to spend $80.00 more for an inferior part. I already have the new knuckle for the driver's side, but didn't order the passenger side yet. Ford would probably have you replace the lower control arm with the newer version to do it. That's probably a $250-$300 part. :(
I have not dealt with this procedure myself but this info comes directly from a Ford/Lincoln Suspension design engineer.
It might be good for you to find a good Ford tech with a positive attitude who could take you through the journey and upgrade your suspension.

jumpball207 said:
how much were they charging for the whole assembly?

The 14mm version is $189 (the price they give me) and list is MUCH more. The prices they have been giving me are close to what fordpartsonline is charging, so I can't complain about that. I ended up just buying the 14mm on the passenger side also. I needed to get it back on the road. It took my 2 hours to do that side and that was with taking pictures.

Just so everyone knows. All 2000,01,02 knuckles have been updated to the new 2003-04 style. Once you order one for any year you will get the correct and upgraded one.

TeamFord said:
Just so everyone knows. All 2000,01,02 knuckles have been updated to the new 2003-04 style. Once you order one for any year you will get the correct and upgraded one.

Sweet! Thanks for posting TeamFord.

Members online

No members online now.
Back