2000 LS Front Pass door interior handle will not open door

Bubba 14

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Greetings. 2000 LS, 85K miles. Just started having issue with R/H front door inside handle acting up. It has to be pulled almost to the point of breaking to open the door. I just read a bunch of existing threads on this subject- they all point to the handle as the culprit. Going to open up the door panel in a couple of days and have a look-see. My question is can the cable from the handle to the latch be adjusted at all at the handle to make it engage the latch sooner when handle is pulled? I suspect, after reading many threads on this, that the handle is the culprit. Am I wrong? Door opens OK from outside.

There is no adjustment on the 2nd gen handles. I would expect that this is true of the 1st gen ones as well.

I've been reaching out the window to let myself out for years, eventually the window motor will go out and I'll probably fix my handle.

I would've swapped it out by now if it were bolted on instead of those rivets

Rivots can be drilled out and replaced. The problem tends to be that the hard plastic push pins that hold the door panel on... tend to break. So pre-order some of those before you work on the door hsndle.

I was thinking about replacing the rivets with nuts and bolts. has anyone done this before and have a clue as to what size hardware is required? Also, is there a part number available for the plastic push pins from Ford? If not, I'll have to search the parts stores for replacements.

I was thinking about replacing the rivets with nuts and bolts. has anyone done this before and have a clue as to what size hardware is required? Also, is there a part number available for the plastic push pins from Ford? If not, I'll have to search the parts stores for replacements.
I replaced the rivets years ago, so do not remember the size, but it shouldn't pose much of a challenge. As for the plastic door panel fasteners, I started years ago to collect as many of these as I could find every time I visited a junkyard (same thing for the door panel connectors for my '99 Grand Marquis). True, not every junkyard has one or more LSs on site, but if you live in or near a major metropolitan area, you are generally in luck. I also scarf up the two-piece plastic connectors that go under the hood - the ones you have to remove to access/change the cabin filter.

I have spare plastic clips, tho I haven't broken any yet by using a long thick flathead to easily pry the panels off.. if you need contact me.

the door handle is easy, I've changed it twice and I dislike rivots, I replaced with bolts I can check size if you interested and send a pic, much better hold imo and something less to rattle in the future. The door sheet metal inside is perfect width to thread these bolts in and out and back in if need.

Yes bolts and nuts work perfect...just drill rivets out ...been way to long since I've done it ...or maybe it sometimer disease
Google search with Lincolnvscadillac in the search ...I know somebody as a great thread about this ...can't remember the member ...but he gives the size of bolts and nuts

1/4-20 x 3/4" bolts with flat washers on both side and teflon lock nuts

Hoping to avoid the need for more door clips. Recently did driver's outside mirror R&R and did not break any. Thanks to AmsterDutch for the hardware info. Means my trip to Lowes will be a one-off deal.

Members online

No members online now.
Back