2000 LS front bearing hub separation

JEBarrett

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

Am in the process of replacing the front bearing/hub assemblies on a 2000 LS. Removed the passenger side hub assembly with some PB Blaster and some taps to the hub bolt flange. No great problem. However the driver side hub assembly will not move. Any ideas or secrets? I do not want to use too much force as the control arm assembly appears to be a cast aluminum alloy.

Joe B.

Found the Apr 21, 2007 thread.

I found the Apr 21, 2007 thread and the people sounded as mad as I am, so I feel better. I will try the screw driver wedge idea but am worried about damaging the cast aluminum control arm. I tried some regular 1/2" bolts but they would not fit as the connecting bolts are tapered 1/2" bolts, so I may need to get four new bolts.

But I do feel better that other people have had the same problem and it is not just me... ROF LOL

Joe B.

yeah i was one of the disgruntled participants in that thread. I tried a gear puller after every tapping method imaginable failed. i finaly got the arm out (which is stronger than you think) and pressed out the bearing with 8000 lbs pressure if i remember right. make sure its well supported and flat if you do that.
GOOD LUCK! :)

Were the bearings bad? I think mine might be, i'm getting a sort of grinding noise in the suspension or axel cant really tell. But it's only when I turn to the left? Any ideas??

Were the bearings bad? I think mine might be, i'm getting a sort of grinding noise in the suspension or axel cant really tell. But it's only when I turn to the left? Any ideas??

your right rear hub bearing is bad..

i had the same problem to it was the opposite side.

I had a miserable time getting my hubs off. I used a lot of PB Blaster, heat, and a heavy hammer. I let the PB blaster soak between hammering sessions.

Of course I had to buy new hubs after I was finished.

Michael

i would NOT reccomend heat here since you will alter the stress in the arm. you are way better off using a press so long as it is well supported.

I just did mine. The driver side just fell out and I thought no problem. The passenger side would not move. No amount of wedging with a large screwdriver helped. My friend used a BFH (big freeking hammer) and beat on the back of the bearing. We turned the wheels as far as they would go and he beat from the forward side of the wheel. The hub started to come out at an angle so we hit on the front of the bearing to square it back up. That seemed to help it come free. I used PB blaster but it just took a lot of beating. No damage to the knuckle or ball joints is noticeable.

Members online

Back