2000 LS erratic shifting when passing

Allen

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have read alot of post in here about the 2000 LS V8 transmission issues/shifting issues.
While driving if you maintain rpm at or below 2000 car seems to shift fine, may have a stutter hear and there. But if you give it gas as to pass the engine will rev up and the transmission appears to down shift but acts as if it does not know what gear to go into. after i release the gas pedal and engine settles down car gets back into gear around 2000 rpm. car has 85,000 miles, bought it used last year and it ran very good, but had some minor electrical control issues but could live with them. now I am wondering if the early electrical issues was a warning that the brains of the car was slowly dying. Electrical issues are.
Cruise control : will turn on, can set speed, will accelerate with steering wheel control. but when press decelerate on steering wheel control car will speed up.
Radio control on steering wheel: what ever button you press will only increase radio volume.
AC controls: while running ac the temp will start to rise on the drivers side but the temp will stay cool on passenger side. to stop this I have to manually raise the temp up and then bring it back down and it will stay cool. may have to do this several times during a trip.
I know this is wordy but I know sometimes what appears to be an unrelated problem somtimes becomes the missing piece of the puzzle.

I have read alot of post in here about the 2000 LS V8 transmission issues/shifting issues.
While driving if you maintain rpm at or below 2000 car seems to shift fine, may have a stutter hear and there. But if you give it gas as to pass the engine will rev up and the transmission appears to down shift but acts as if it does not know what gear to go into. after i release the gas pedal and engine settles down car gets back into gear around 2000 rpm. car has 85,000 miles, bought it used last year and it ran very good, but had some minor electrical control issues but could live with them. now I am wondering if the early electrical issues was a warning that the brains of the car was slowly dying. Electrical issues are.
Cruise control : will turn on, can set speed, will accelerate with steering wheel control. but when press decelerate on steering wheel control car will speed up.
Radio control on steering wheel: what ever button you press will only increase radio volume.
AC controls: while running ac the temp will start to rise on the drivers side but the temp will stay cool on passenger side. to stop this I have to manually raise the temp up and then bring it back down and it will stay cool. may have to do this several times during a trip.
I know this is wordy but I know sometimes what appears to be an unrelated problem somtimes becomes the missing piece of the puzzle.

Cruise control, radio control are both probably a worn clock spring. There are a number of posts on this board about replacing it, including a couple of how-tos.

AC problems sound to me like a DCCV problem, also very common on this board.

The transmission someone else will have to chime in on.

Thanks for the quick response to the electrical issues, I believed they were seperate issues but I have had some very unusual things happen in vehicles so I wanted to post it all together.

The "transmission" issue sounds like failing coils.

This is my first Lincoln please simplify or should I say "dumb it down" for me. I am capable of working on the car but not great on trouble shooting. By the way I have no check engine or transmission lights while this is going on.

This is my first Lincoln please simplify or should I say "dumb it down" for me. I am capable of working on the car but not great on trouble shooting. By the way I have no check engine or transmission lights while this is going on.

Failing coils (there is one atop each spark plug) cause subtle misfires that will make the transmission feels like it's acting erratically. A failing coil will rarely if ever throw a code (check engine light). How is it when you press the pedal slowly under a light load? Does it seem to hesitate? Does it feel sluggish? At those miles it's time anyway for new plugs AND coils.

thats what I thought, but better to ask than to assume. The car idles fine just a little low, revs good changed plugs a couple months ago. the biggest issue is when you slow down and then try to accelrate. went to auto zone to plug in reader and got several codes. first one was for the transmission speed sensor intermittent. Knock sensor defective, and several dealer codes. U1262, C1289, C1288, C1963. once again thanks for the quick response

How does it shift in reverse and drive from park?

I practice allowing the car to settle in below 1000 rpm before shifting to Rev. so I have not seen any issues with rev. and drive from park when cold is great. but after car warms up it does good but may stutter while accelerating, more of a trans stutter than engine stutter.

.... U1262, C1289, C1288, C1963. once again thanks for the quick response

U1262 Data Circuit Message: PCM Received Signal for Fault on Bus Circuit
This may be normal/okay, or may not be. Depends on how often if happens.

C1289 Brake Pressure Sensor Circuit Failure (secondary)
C1288 Brake Pressure Sensor Circuit Failure (primary)
C1963 Stability Control Inhibit Warning (likely a result of the above codes)

Did you have any oil in the spark plug wells when you changed them? You should change all the coils, and probably the DCCV. The clockspring also.... Very common on these cars.

Keep in mind, bad coils will kill plugs in less than 1000 miles. Always change coils & plugs @ the same time. Case in point: my neighbor changed plugs 1100 miles ago. 4.6 V8 F150. Truck started to shake when warmed up & 40 - 60 pmh. I inspected coils & plugs. 5 bad coils, 5 bad plugs! I used a NOID tester found 2 bad injectors. I did a resistance measurement & voltage check of injectors, found 6 bad injectors. 120,000 on truck. Make real sure no fluids in spark plug wells. Replace VCGs if original if any fluids found. We all have done this sooner or later, V8 or V6 LS.

Well you were right, I appreciate the help, it was the cop. I never had a car that did not get a engine light with a cop went bad. Its always good to learn something new.

Did you try unlearning the transmission yet? I used to have the high rpm when trying to pass. I recently got a transmission fluid flush and reset the computer. It shifts a lot better now. Intermittent slips and stuttering when cold could also be caused by low transmission fluid.

Yes, I changed all plugs and coils, I also had the transmission fluid flushed. the car drives so much better and shifts normal, no stutter and no irratic shifting, and idles good at stop lights without killing. Car feels reliable again. thanks for all the good info.

Members online

No members online now.
Back