2000 LS Bad alternator under load?

markjc

LVC Member
Reaction score
Took a video here
https://youtu.be/wW7srQcSKIk

Simple Volt meter plugged into the accessory outlet because.. Battery is in trunk but as soon as I slowly turn on the A/C, Headlights, Defroster and high-beams check charging system appears and voltage is dropped from 14, as soon as I turn off all those accessories voltage rises up again?

What do you guys think? Alternator?

Alternator.
Replace with Motorcraft only (new or rebuilt).

yup the alt is failing, when the car doesn't need much power, it is able to keep up, but as soon as you increase the load and start needing more power, it struggles to keep up.

Thanks guys, I had a feeling it was the alternator just needed confirmation :)

id strongly suggest replacing the battery with a vented 750 at the same time... you'll save years off future replacements on either component.

id strongly suggest replacing the battery with a vented 750 at the same time... you'll save years off future replacements on either component.

The battery was replaced already as I thought the original battery was crapping out.

like very recently? because a failing alt will damage a good battery in a short amount of time.

like very recently? because a failing alt will damage a good battery in a short amount of time.

2 days ago, Does anyone know what'll happen if you don't use the OEM Motorcraft Alternator? Called dealership they don't have it and to have it ordered they want a ridiculous price of $310

Parts stores alts have high infant mortality. Some are downright incorrect items. The Gen1 LS uses a very unique alternator, and rebuild shops don't do well with 'unique'.

I have had "good" luck with Napa. First one lasted three years!

Parts stores alts have high infant mortality. Some are downright incorrect items. The Gen1 LS uses a very unique alternator, and rebuild shops don't do well with 'unique'.

I have had "good" luck with Napa. First one lasted three years!

Do you think the Napa alternator will work with the Gen 1 LS?

search around... most I can remember lasted about a year!

And if your installing yourself... you dont want to change it that often. Best can do it in a few hours, took me two days

...to have it ordered they want a ridiculous price of $310

That is not a ridiculous price at all for that alternator. That's actually pretty good for a local dealer.

How many replacements of the aftermarket alternator will it take before you feel you would rather have paid the $310? Keep in mind that will the aftermarkets are failing, they will be aging your battery.

If you think $300 is bad, you haven't owned an LS very long....

Haha Yep just got it, Anyway found a re-manufactured OEM Motorcraft for $100 will let you know how it'll go once it arrives

My alternator failed five years ago, manual transmission so it has a clutched pulley. Used a local electrical shop (yes they still exist). Put in an aftermarket Chinese alternator (cost ~$130 with the clutched pulley). Owner of the shop said he had had no returns on the ones he'd sold (I was skeptical of buying it rather than the more expensive Motorcraft).

Has worked fine for 5 1/2 years and probably 60,000 miles. Oh and as for replacing the battery, I'm still on the one Ford put in the car when it was built in August 1999. Of course YMMV.

Okay so looks like testing on the cigarette lighter isn't good, I haven't changed my alternator yet.
Testing on the battery terminals in the trunk with a multi-meter Im getting 14.30 Volts at idle and when going through the same load A/C and headlights and defrosters I'm still getting 14 Volts. Does anyone know what the 'Check Charging system' actually means with the battery icon

Means the alternator stator coils are having to be driven harder than expected for conditions.

I purchased a remanufactured alt when mine was going out. I changed the battery at the same time. That OEM remaned alt took a **** less than 6 months later and was surging my entire electrical system. The shop that did it took it out and ordered the NEW oem alt, replaced the battery again and haven't had an issue in the last 6 months. Its worth it to get the new oem alt and change the battery at the same time. IMHO.

Members online

Back