2000 LS 3.9 V8 - lean burn code

blackmopar

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

havent been on in a while - my LS has been no problem for a good long while - rolling home from work last week I ran fuel tank down pretty far down - didnt actually run outta fuel but came close - went to start it the next morning and dash threw a code and i noticed it idling a little rough

driving to work starting running worse - the the point it had a lope at stoplights like i had cammed it

got to work and boys next door have a scanner - it read that I had a lean burn situation in both banks

being that i hadnt replaced plugs in a while and thinking maybe i fouled one, I replaced all and also changed out fuel filter thinking maybe sucked up some tank crud

idled slightly better but threw the same code pretty soon after. now the car will start, but idles very rough, surges when in drive and bogs and stumbles off the line severly

ideas? failing coil(s) possibly? visually inspected when plugs changed and didnt appear bad

thanks

Bad coils should always be a suspect with the LS. There is no way to tell visually if a coil has become marginal.

It's also possible that you have an air leak somewhere after the MAF in the intake. Or, the MAF could be dirty or bad.
I'd also check fuel pressure. There are some filters inside the tank.

being that i hadnt replaced plugs in a while and thinking maybe i fouled one, I replaced all and also changed out fuel filter thinking maybe sucked up some tank crud

idled slightly better but threw the same code pretty soon after. now the car will start, but idles very rough, surges when in drive and bogs and stumbles off the line severly

ideas? failing coil(s) possibly? visually inspected when plugs changed and didnt appear bad

thanks

General rule of thumb : change coils with plugs. Don't buy garbage coils, buy OEM. Search website using: "site:lincolnvscadillac.com Lincoln ls (search item)"

Everything has been covered, several times.

General rule of thumb : change coils with plugs. Don't buy garbage coils, buy OEM. Search website using: "site:lincolnvscadillac.com Lincoln ls (search item)"

Everything has been covered, several times.

thanks guys - just kinda wanted a sanity check

I didnt have the surging or boging of engine however i did have it start the lumpy idle on me and gave me a lean bank code. Turns out cylinder 4 is fubar and only running 70 psi of compression. The lumpy idles is due to. Broken secondary timing chain tensioner and cam having jumped a tooth. Hope yours is not as severe as mine is i am currently waiting on delivery of a new engine as its cheaper than having it rebuilt.

Members online

No members online now.
Back