2000 Lincoln Town Car

jaded1364

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just picked up an 00 Town Car.

It's a little rough but I got it cheap.

It needs an alignment, the guy replaced tie rod ends and never got around to getting it aligned. It steers fine. Other than the steering wheel being out of position you'd never know.

It needs a new front bumper cover, it's cracked in a couple of places. Beyond repair. I'll have to shop around for a junkyard special.

The right rear door was hit. I can fix it but first I'll shop around for a used door. If I can get one cheap enough it'll be worth it to avoid a bunch of finish work.
The damage goes into the quarter. The molding that goes just in front of the wheel is gone. There's one small dent above it that is very fixable.

The rear bumper cover needs to be painted but at least it's not damaged.

It'll need a good wheeling out but I think it'll end up looking very nice.

Wayne

Question about interchangability.

Are all the 2000 town car bumper covers the same or did they differ between the series?

Same question of the doors, wheel lip moldings, quarter pannel moldings and doors.

I have the Executive Series.

Thanks,

Wayne

Congratulations! You should find out if the intake plenum has been replaced, if it hasn't you should have that done. There was a problem with the original one.

If you are interested I can get you an aftermarket bumper for 135 +shipping (if they are in stock) and an intake for 210 +shipping (oem) if you need to replace yours.

What was the issue with the plenum? Vacuum leak?

The OE composite intake manifold will fracture in the coolant crossover to the thermostat housing. Not a good experience.

The aftermarket and probably the FoMoCo current designs employ a metal crossover and stat housing as shown below.

Flat rate replacement time is 4.8 hours (severe case scenario).

615-178-007.JPG

ge-at-intake-manifold-cross-over-engine-vehicles-equipped-with-4-6l-2v-engine-only11_zps2de6659a.gif

ge-at-intake-manifold-cross-over-engine-vehicles-equipped-with-4-6l-2v-engine-only12_zpsd68baff0.gif

ge-at-intake-manifold-cross-over-engine-vehicles-equipped-with-4-6l-2v-engine-only13_zps49b3b373.gif

Last edited:
no0c, thanks for the info.

What would the symptoms be if there was the beginings of an issue?
Aside from actual visable leakage of course?

Does it smoke?

Other than a slight part throttle stumble there are no apparent issues at this point.

Wayne

V-Tally. Thanks for the tip but I'm covered on the bumper cover.
I'll let you know if I need an intake.

What would the symptoms be if there was the beginings of an issue?
Aside from actual visable leakage of course?

Does it smoke?

Other than a slight part throttle stumble there are no apparent issues at this point.

Wayne

Wayne, typically the failure doesn't have a beginning phase. When it lets loose it's a done deal and you are now a pedestrian.

In other words, it's a disaster just waiting for a time and place to happen.

Not replacing it, is like rolling the dice.

Good luck.

I was not aware of this issue. Is this common to all the 4.6L engines like the ones used in the grand marcs? I believe the motors are identical so I assume the same issue exists.

Did Ford correct the error? Did later models get a corrected intake and if so at what model year was it corrected so that I know what year intakes to look for if I do want to fix it?

Was there a recall over this issue? It seems to me if this is a common occourance, Ford owes us a new intake.

Thanks,

Wayne

PS, do you go by a name or just your screen name?

Did you not read the bulletin I posted?

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showpost.php?p=2037266459&postcount=8

All your questions are answered within.

I don't believe there was a "recall" and it was a field fix only for those manifolds that failed. I think Ford's liability has run out, so good luck trying to get a new manifold for nothing. It's not going to happen.

Do you mean Grand Marquis? 96-01, just like the bulletin states.

Tim

Tim,

Yes, I read it over but wasn't really clear as to what I was looking at. Now that I've looked it over, in hind sight, it makes more sense.

Too bad we can't get a freebie. Sounds like the infamous chrysler 2.7 liter v-6. It was a disaster. But chrysler wouldn't warentee them. Jerks!

Thanks,

Wayne

Members online

No members online now.
Back