2000 Lincoln LS, slow to shift to drive.

2000LincLS

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi all, New member looking for some real advise on my lincoln. The car is my wife's car, and I hate to get rid of it... I mean, we love it! We have had to change a few things when we bought (108,000kms) now has (138,000kms) like front struts, and a wheel bearing.. no biggy. The tranny was always a "little" slow when shifting to drive from park or reverse, before I put the car up for the winter it started taking a really long time (ok, like 5 seconds) to shift into drive from park or reverse. I unhooked the battery to try to reset the computer as I was told to try that (maybe 1 out of 100 would work) to get it to start shifting better, but that had no effect. I do not know if the PCM has been updated etc. Does updating the PCM fix this problem? I do not want to take it to a dealer and have them try to hose me into a new tranny if a PCM update would do it.

Also, it sounds like it has a supercharger on it, I was told this noise is due to "Cam Chains" and that if you can live with the noise, then it will not effect the car in any way... I need to know this from a professional to be sure... as I don't want to replace a motor.

One more thing, the heat only comes on when you are driving... (2000RPM and above) the blower works etc, just no heat until you start moving... very annoying for in city driving when its -30 outside... Any help would be appreciated!! thanks....

The transmission issue has a software fix. Your dealer should be able to help there. If it has the latest software, then it's probably the solenoid pack. The part is ~$200US from Bill Jenkins at Team Ford. I did it myself so don't know what labour is.

Wow, now that is fast. I have heard of the solenoid as well. So I will check it out, I do all the work on my vehicles so no need for labour costs. Thanks for the quick response!

Members online

No members online now.
Back