• Bad buy

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Waste of money

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

Merk1n_Season

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
For all you 2000 Lincoln ls owners i am looking to buy a 2000 lincoln ls it's black exterior with light graphite interior. It has 170k miles on the clock and I was told it was a clean title with no trans or engine problems. $2900 is the price. I know that these year models tend to have over heating issues. Other than the regular maintenance of coils, plugs, degas bottle. What else should I expect to crap out on me considering the engine and trans are in good condition. all help is greatly appreciated.

I am sure the guys will input their opinions soon.

See if you can get them down on the price a little. Those are high miles, and the price should be closer to $2500.

Engine Size? Sport/Non-Sport? Exterior Condition? Underbody Condition? Interior Condition?

My 2000 needed new outer tierod ends and passenger lower ball joint. You should inspect those and all the other suspension parts.

Personally speaking, if finances are driving your purchase price, stay away from any LS as they are not cheap by any means to maintain. If not, keep looking for one(regardless of year....but newer ones are a bit easier to find certain parts) with a lot less miles for a very similar price.

Id say an OK buy...it would have to be in perfect condition otherwise to risk that high of mileage...

Don't forget about the rest of the plastic cooling parts, timing chain tensionsors, hydraulic fan and suspension parts. Make sure the tensionsors are good or have been replaced otherwise you're possibly looking at a new engine (if it blows). A new suspension can cost you as much as the car is worth if not doing the work yourself. Listen for noises and inspect bushing and ball joints.

The trouble with a high millage car is that you don't know what its been through.

Thanks guys im definitely not gonna buy it at 2900. I'm probably going to test drive it some time this week. I don't know if it's true or not but I was told to drive it with the ac on to see if it studders at during acceleration. Jus trying to get a fun car for the time being. Planning on selling my rx8. Price of parts can be over bearing at times. But after 5 years with the rx8 upkeep and maintenance. ls parts can't compare to price of rx8 parts.

It's a v8 with trip tronic. Interior looks to be in good condition no rips or tears. Exterior good. Only thing that scares me is timing chain tensioners. If I were to buy it and all is well first thing I would do is oil change and tranny flush. Coils plugs wires. Hydraulic fan issues I have to read up on that. Never heard of that problem.

Use the need for the timing chain tensioners needing to be changed as a bit of leverage.

May not be good for a lot of leverage but of the owner want to sell, it cannot hurt to have the conversation. Be sure to have a reputable mechanic look it over before negotiations turn serious

Thanks guys im definitely not gonna buy it at 2900. I'm probably going to test drive it some time this week. I don't know if it's true or not but I was told to drive it with the ac on to see if it studders at during acceleration. Jus trying to get a fun car for the time being. Planning on selling my rx8. Price of parts can be over bearing at times. But after 5 years with the rx8 upkeep and maintenance. ls parts can't compare to price of rx8 parts.

Wanna bet?

I've owned mine for about 4 months and it's by far the most expensive car I've ever had to get it back up and doing great and comfortable for reliability...and I'm not even close to being done.

I'm just saying, that is a hell of a lot of miles, LS's have a lot of problems, if those haven't already been fixed, the cost of maintaining a car with that kind of miles could be quite costly, not to mention, even if all of the common issues have been fixed, it was probably done so long ago, that they are ready to be replaced again.

my personal opinion, is a car like the LS can be awesome in great condition, but can down right suck if not in the greatest condition. if it was me, I would want to make sure i enjoyed my LS and would save up more and buy a much younger one.

1loudls i hear you man thanks for the insight in miami there aren't any good ls for sale. Most are high mileage and the second gen ls they are over priced.

1loudls i hear you man thanks for the insight in miami there aren't any good ls for sale. Most are high mileage and the second gen ls they are over priced.

Dude, try to find my 02 that I traded in Delray. 1lnhm87a62y665036...

I only got 2K for it. Cooling system/coils/VCGS/DCCV/brakes/etc. already gone through.

I got cricket for 2500 last year with 128K, V8, some issues. I'm currently putting it back into shape because I just like the car and don't put a large chunk of miles on it per year.

Right front tie rod replaced,

who ever worked on the AC didn't put the o-rings back in, thus no air and the fan never really came up to speed and occassionally would overheat (corrected with an AC service),

had some minor damage to the front bumper cover (is currently being repainted and replaced),

someone closed a garage door on the rear end and scratched the heck out of it (currently being fixed),

rear passenger door had some damage and looked as if they used a claw hammer to knock out the dents (currently being fixed),

sunroof repair kit and rubber seal replaced, all dings being removed and entire car being repainted to original estate green,

once body work is done, replacing the rear toe bar parts.

That should take care of it. I haven't had the car for about 3 weeks so far, hopefully will get it back next week.

If I didn't like the car, I probably would have passed on it.

Dude, try to find my 02 that I traded in Delray. 1lnhm87a62y665036...

I only got 2K for it. Cooling system/coils/VCGS/DCCV/brakes/etc. already gone through.

Huge +1. Op.....Now that one is absolutely one to try and track down. Sounds as if it should be basically a turn the key a drive car as long as you keep up with the rest.

Huge +1. Op.....Now that one is absolutely one to try and track down. Sounds as if it should be basically a turn the key a drive car as long as you keep up with the rest.

Yeah it ran perfect, but had paint issues and rebuilt title (stolen a long time ago.....) It will need suspension work in a year or so I suspect.

I actually traded in a perfectly running car for one that I had to put coils in and fix the transmission in the first 2 months I owned it lol.

In the last few months:

Replaced COPs and Plugs....
Fixed blown front speakers.....
Fixed one window regulator and needs another fixed now.....
Replaced center vents due to prior owner damaging it.....
Cabin filter replaced and almost all engine bay clips....
Cleaned up headlights but not that great and need to take apart due to water entering drivers side....
Trunk lid work needed......
Transmission acting up, it only has 65,000 miles on it....new crate motor and tranny put in 08 by previous owner.....
2 new tires......

Now tonight the rear end is talking back left and right....squeak squeak...I'm sure I can't wait to tear into that.

Some one hit the side some time ago and now I must repaint rear drivers door.

Finally found a wrecked LS in a yard today and was able to pull a few parts and will be going back for more in a few weeks....I called over 10 local yards and no one had any LS.

My fingers are tired.....but I DO love driving that sucker.

Members online

Back