2000 Lincoln LS- Overheating while driving

Element1232

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have been a lurker here for a while but just decided to sign up to ask for advice, unfortunately. Id like to take a second to say what am awesome community this is! I have loved reading all about the cars i love here. I have a 2000 Lincoln LS, about 108xxx on the odo. For about 6 months the car has been mostly parked. I have had it at the mechanic for most of this time. He has been pulling his hair out trying to figure out an overheating issue. Its been a rough ride, but I am hoping someone here has experienced something similar.

So, the problem:
Car overheats after cold start. Temp gauge will steadily climb and get over half before I exit my neighborhood. I can stop it from overheating if i: Allow the car to warm up, about halfway on the temp gauge or a little more. Turn on the heat, give the car gas, I will initially feel no heat, then a burst of hot air, the temp gauge immedietly drops to halfway on the gauge, and after that I can run A/C, heat, or no air at all - the car doesnt overheat again until the next cold start.

It is extremely odd, but it has been getting worse and sometimes requires more acceleration to feel the radiator fluid "break-free" so to speak and begin flowing.

Also, if I shut the car off when the temp is climbing, it will cool in less than 5 minutes.

We have replaced:
Thermostat (twice)
Hydraulic Fan Actuator
Flushed system (twice)
100k mile tune up (water pump, timing chain, etc)

I really need some direction on what part to look at and possibly replace next, or as I have read on here, the electronic fan conversion. But with the possible clog I'm not sure I am looking in the right spot. Does anyone have any ideas they can share? Thanks all!

...I am hoping someone here has experienced something similar...

Seriously? Lots of stories like this on here...

Your cooling system is air-locked. The air is being sucked in through micro cracks in the plastic cooling system parts. It's very unlikely that you are different from the rest with this problem.

Replace ALL the plastic cooling system parts.

Replace the degas bottle. It's cracked, I promise. Use Motorcraft, not Dorman. (or, use Dorman if you don't really want to fix it)

Replace the cooling tower / thermostat housing. There is a Uro metal part that you can use.
Replace the crossover tube assembly.
Replace the upper radiator hose. (The plastic tee in the hose get micro cracks too)
Somewhat optional, but you really should replace the lower radiator hose too. (This one lasts longer because it doesn't get as hot, but that's not so true when you let it get to where the car is overheating.)
Have a good look at the upper front of the passenger side radiator tank. Look for a crack and/or residue. The radiator does last longer than the other plastic parts, but not forever. Also, yours is under more stress due to the overheating.
Make sure the DCCV and the aux pump are not leaking. Also verify that the aux pump is working.

Seriously? Lots of stories like this on here...
Hehehehe... this is one of @joegr's trigger. I've been very entertained reading his replies to people contradicting him with stories about their LSs with multiple fans, etc.

Luckily for all of us, he always breaks it down in a very detailed way. :)
Thanks for all your explanations!

Members online

No members online now.
Back