2000 Lincoln LS HELP!!!!!!!

Rozay_LS

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2000 Lincoln LS v8 3.9 L , I bought the car about a year ago everything was perfect until my wonderful mother put the wrong gas in my Lincoln she put unleaded instead of unleaded premium, so I about a month or so later my car started sputtering real hard and my check engine light came on. I hooked it up to a computer to tell me why my engine light was on and it said miss fire in cynlinder 5,6,8 had a miss fire , so I changed the spark plugs, that didn't work , so I changed all the ignition coils that go in there and it worked for 2 weeks and back to the same thing a lot of sputtering and less power , now I'm up to changing the valve cover gasket next is that a wise choice to make or should I just change the ignition coils and spark plugs at the same time or should I change the head gasket and the valve cover gasket as well ??? Need help ASAP

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381713893.389817.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381713893.389817.jpg

The poor gas probably exasperated failing coils. As you asked, I would replace all the coils and plugs that weren't done so you have 8 new coils and 8 new plugs. Keep the coils and plugs that you already replaced together.

I worded that kinda wrong I changed all the spark plugs and no change, so about 2-3 months later I changed all 8 ignition coils and there was only change for 2 weeks and rite back to sputtering

I worded that kinda wrong I changed all the spark plugs and no change, so about 2-3 months later I changed all 8 ignition coils and there was only change for 2 weeks and rite back to sputtering

A bad coil will kill a plug and vice-versa.

First, verify that all the plugs are correctly gap'd to 1mm. The plugs are easy to damage, so be careful when adjusting the gap.

You should always replace the spark plugs when you replace the coil.

Bad coils damage spark plugs.

New plugs with old bad coils = damaged new plugs.

New coils on now damaged plugs = damaged new coils.

Repeat cycle...

Of course, marginal coils are the number one cause of misfires and rough running, but there are other causes too. You might have something else going on.

Replace the valve cover gaskets only if they are leaking. (Oil leaking on the exhaust or oil in the spark plug wells.)

Head gaskets on this car almost never fail. If yours were bad, you'd have different symptoms. Head gasket replacement is a major job.

You may have a vacuum leak. You could have bad fuel injectors (or loose connectors at the injectors). One of your timing chains could have jumped a tooth due to failing tensioners. (Unfortunately, this is not unheard of on the 2000.)

Is there a website or national auto parts store that have good OEM parts I can buy from and get quality or a brand to use for the spark plugs, ignition coils ?

get the advance auto parts coils they have a 2 year warrenty and you can search online for a 30% discount on them. the coils will fail again its a common issue with this car at least with advanced auto parts you can just return all 8 when they fail and get new ones for free again.

but what year LS do you have or had and what's been done to it

00 (V6 base), 03 (V8 sport)

glued headliner
glued message center buttons
glued advancedtrac button
VCG, plugs, coils
sunroof drain tube
F sway bar bushings and end links
F tie rods
cooling system parts
R end links
the other sunroof drain tube
cooling system parts
coils and plugs
:shifty:

you know, the basics... lol

get the advance auto parts coils they have a 2 year warrenty and you can search online for a 30% discount on them. the coils will fail again its a common issue with this car at least with advanced auto parts you can just return all 8 when they fail and get new ones for free again.

Don't do this. The cost you save getting advance auto coils will not be worth it when it comes time to replacing clogged cats. Also, I'd prefer my car to be running correctly than suffering from marginal misfires the entire time I drive it.

There are plenty of areas you can cheap out on, but coils/plugs is definitely not one of them.

Don't do this. The cost you save getting advance auto coils will not be worth it when it comes time to replacing clogged cats. Also, I'd prefer my car to be running correctly than suffering from marginal misfires the entire time I drive it.

There are plenty of areas you can cheap out on, but coils/plugs is definitely not one of them.

Agreed!

So is it fair to say that if I'm goin to replace the cat do it first along with the coils and plugs , and if I just replace the coils and spark plugs an cut the cat off , I have to change the rear O2 sensors out for which kind ? because I think rite now they are out anyway the O2 sensor is can anyway help me with this ?

Members online

No members online now.
Back