2000 Lincoln LS: Door Speakers Not Working

MainStageNews

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2000 Lincoln ls and the 2 center console (3.5") and the deck speakers are working fine but none of the 4 door speakers are working at all. Im not sure why and I was hoping you guys could help me.

I have an after market stereo installed and I noticed it when I installed it, but im fairly certain the speakers werent working when the factory stereo was in there. Do you guys know which speakers are amplified? Because if I had to take a guess as to why they arent working I would say the factory amp went bad. That being said is the only amp the one in the trunk? If it is the amp that would be great because I could just pick up another one from a salvage yard or ebay for around $60. But hopefully you guys can help me, thanks :)

There is a factory amp in the trunk for the subs.
There is a factory amp under the dash for the center console.
The door speakers are directly driven by the headunit. The only exception to this that I know of is the gen II THX nav option.

Well if you replaced the radio (assuming you didn't F it up of course) and there is still no sound coming out, then you may/probably have blown speakers...

It's also very possible for 1 bad speaker to keep them all from playing... Most new radios have a protection circuit that will shut off the internal amp (to prevent it from getting damaged) if it senses a short circuit. Some radios will inform you of this like Kenwood, some won't tell you at all like pioneer.

USER: MainStageNews

Remember...as Member: 1LoudLS (has also said), and I concur...:I
(1) bad short or possibly (1) disconnected plug at any (1) location,
could "possibly", cause an open (incomplete) circuit to any/all of
the "associated" speakers...so you may have to check them all, and
...one at a time.

But, as you mentioned (you have an aftermarket Stereo). I'm guessing
that the previous owner only wired the (2) front console speakers because
they were the easiest to get to without purchasing seperately the correct
wiring harness or just didn't want to determine which color code wire was for
which speaker... I'm betting it's the latter.

So this means that you'll have to "VERIFY" the correct color code and wires
for your specific LS's year and any audio option extra's ...But first of all

You also have to make sure that the "speaker pods" are in each of the doors
and whether or not the rear (sub) 6x9's are in the rear deck (although) you won't
be able to wire the rear 6x9's due to most aftermarket stereo's may only have the
(4) speaker outputs (as available). Unless you integrate and re-wire the stock sub
amp as a low-level output (and as an external amp) to connect the rear deck 6x9's...

... Sample color code wiring for an (unspecific) 2001 Lincoln LS ...

Left Front Spkr (+) = White/Black and Left Front Spkr (-) = Grey/Black
Right Front Spkr (+) = White/Red and Right Front Spkr (-) = Grey/Red

Left Rear Spkr (+) = White/Purple and Left Rear Spkr (-) = Grey/White
Right Rear Spkr (+) = White and Right Rear Spkr (-) = Grey

If your new (and unfamiliar) to installing an aftermarket stereo and wiring pre-
existing speakers, then this may take you some time to figure out ... (A) What
you have in the door panels and (B) Which wire is for which speaker, (C) Check
for proper wire conductivity (end-to-end)...

But, if you have the money?? Take it to a stereo shop and let them do it if you don't
wanna take each door panel completely off. This is a definite must do !! Mandatory !!

Sure you can find out the color codes to the wiring harness behind the stock radio,
but it sure doesn't do any good if there isn't any speakers or if any of the speakers
are damaged in any of the doors. So...

If you really, really, really need more info or help, I'll be glad to walk thru if you need
more "specific" step by step instructions... ;)

The easiest way to figure this out would be to pull the radio and make sure it's wired right

Then hook a meter up to each pair of speaker wires and make sure that there is no shorts

Then you can use a small battery as a popper to test each speaker.

I doubt you'll need to go any further than that to find the problem

It will not be a open circuit/disconnected speaker. That can't effect any of the other speakers (unless the disconnected wire is shorting out... But then that is a shorting out problem) and the only harness that has ALL of the door speaker wires in it is the radio harness, and if your radio is turning on, then it's not unplugged...

Members online

Back