2000 lincoln ls am i getting hosed?

mikels

LVC Member
Reaction score
took my car to the shop because it wasn't starting it was cranking but not starting

i call and they say its a fuel regulator

then i go up to talk to them then he says its a timing chain... funny thing is car was working just fine. does a timing chain just go out with no warning?

im going to get it towed to my buddy he said he'd do it for 50$ (poor guy needs money) said all he needs is the tools..what tools do i get him?

There's a fuel pressure sensor, but no fuel regulator.

Timing chain issues are indeed sudden. You may or may not hear some rattling as the tensioners are failing, but the engine will run perfectly fine up until the instant that a chain snaps or jumps a tooth or two. It seems that usually if the timing just jumps one tooth, the engine will start, but run very badly. If it snaps, then it may not even start.
I suspect that you $50 buddy may be about to be in over his head.

so what do i do next? i already have to pay 700$ to fix the fuel regulator...plus the tow back to my house another 60...god damn man.

i need a car to get to work my i'm the assistant manager now...this wont be a goood look knowing i have to pay 3k to get my car back.

so what do i do next? i already have to pay 700$ to fix the fuel regulator...plus the tow back to my house another 60...god damn man.

You were cheated. Your car does not have a fuel regulator. Fuel pressure is controlled electronically via the REM which controls how much power goes to the fuel pump.

not trying to be an ass, but if your buddy doesn't know what tool he needs, then he sure as sh!t should not be doing the job.

personally, if somebody doesn't already have the tools (special tools for special jobs I can understand as they can be rented for free...), there is no way that they are even getting close to my car.

no he knows what tools he needs, I don't lol

are u serious? i havent paid yet but are u saying i am being cheated?

someone link me to a timing chain for a 3.9L

i dont have hundreds to spend on this part as i am a single father raising two girls

are u serious? i havent paid yet but are u saying i am being cheated?

call them back, be very specific, ask them exactly what they had to do, what parts they had to replace, and then take a look around and see if that matches up...

There's a fuel pressure sensor, but no fuel regulator.
so if they said that they replaced "the fuel regulator" then either they are pulling one over on you, or they could also be idiots and not calling parts the right thing... lord knows I've seen this one too many times to count.

The car would kinda hesitate when going to 40 but I never heard any knocking. Then one day I tried starting it and itd crank but no start. Shop said.. "Fuel pressure sensor and plugs drained all fuel removed throttle body twice to drain fuel from intake"

... Shop said.. "Fuel pressure sensor and plugs drained all fuel removed throttle body twice to drain fuel from intake"

Okay, that makes a lot more sense. $700 still seems a little high, but it is probably in the reasonable range.

Now on to the bad news, now that you have added this little detail. I have an alternate theory to your problem instead of the timing chain. I think that the odds are high that you hydrolocked the engine on the gasoline leaking through the sensor. If so, the engine is toast and your only repair choice will be to replace the engine.

I found a 2002 v8 400 $ will it fit

so this has to be asked...

why is that motor only $400? that seems awfully low for a good working engine. not that those deals don't pop up here and there or a friend in the business hooking you up, but you want to make sure that your $400 investment, isnt just going to become another F'ed motor in a short period of time.

my best advice is, IF you motor is trashed and you end up buying a new one. before the new one is put into the car, I would pull the front cover just to inspect the timing chain tensioners in the new motor, and probably replaced them before putting it into the car. with as prone to those issues the older 3.9 is, its well worth it to make sure that it is not going to become a problem later on before the chan is damaged or valves are smashed.

so this has to be asked...

why is that motor only $400? that seems awfully low for a good working engine. not that those deals don't pop up here and there or a friend in the business hooking you up, but you want to make sure that your $400 investment, isnt just going to become another F'ed motor in a short period of time.

my best advice is, IF you motor is trashed and you end up buying a new one. before the new one is put into the car, I would pull the front cover just to inspect the timing chain tensioners in the new motor, and probably replaced them before putting it into the car. with as prone to those issues the older 3.9 is, its well worth it to make sure that it is not going to become a problem later on before the chan is damaged or valves are smashed.

VERY sound advice there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup, very "loud" sound advice, smashed valves down the road are no fun!

I just like to bullet proof stuff if I'm going to do it (or at least as close as you can with this motor...). With the time and money you have to spend, you might as well spend a little bit more to do whatever you can to minimize the chance your gonna have to do it again! hell ask any 6.0 Stroker owner...

Members online

No members online now.
Back