2000 Factory Stereo pics?

rainjacks

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Anybody have pics of the back of a 2000 factory stereo? I'm trying to figure out how I want to hook up my Ipod and would like to verify the connections before I bother tearing it apart. My FM adapter got stolen last night. For those keeping score at home that is the second one stolen out of the car in about six months. Daughter left the car unlocked.

Anyway I've got the in-dash 6 disc changer. Not the glove box mounted one.

I don't have pictures, but if the 2000 in-dash changer is the same as the 2002, I just had my apart yesterday to do the exact same thing, so I can probably answer any questions you have.

The back has three multi-wire connectors that mount on the bottom-left corner of the back (when looking at the back). There is also an antenna input closer to the right side of the back too.

The middle connector includes things such as the inputs from the steering wheel controls, power inputs for the illuminated deck buttons, and input to tell the deck to keep the radio playing once the door is open. I'm not sure what the other two connectors do specifically, but you can assume they're speaker leads and power for the whole unit.

There are no RCA connectors or anything to "easily" connect an Ipod, I used a P.I.E. Electronics FRDN/PC-POD2 adapter from ShipSound.com (through Amazon). Its a relatively simple install, remove the deck, install a supplied pass through cable to the middle connector (mentioned above), connect a little electronics box to the cable, and run a second cable from the box to the Ipod. Depending where you want the Ipod cable to come out (I drilled a hole through the interior of the center storage box), routing the cables can be a little tedious, but not that difficult. Also fitting the electronics box and all the cables back behind the deck so it fits properly involves a lot of luck.

The one step that isn't well described in the instructions is that you have to supply +12V (unswitched) power to the adapter box and a ground connection. I spliced mine out from the cigarette lighter, but since its on a 20A fuse, make sure your splices are well insulated!!

The nice part is the front deck controls (skip and scan) control the songs playing on the Ipod, although the track number and track time information doesn't work all that well.

Hope that helps,

Kevin

img185.gif

img183.gif

img186.gif

sorry my cellphone camera blows

Thanks guys!

KSWPG, what did you pay for the PIE? There is another version (not PIE)that claims to support every version of iPod including the iPhone. I may get an iPhone in the future and I don't want to paint myself into a corner any more than I have to.

I would have been great this morning as I drove 300 miles from my house to Grand Rapids to South Bend with my headphones. :mad:

I paid around $100 for the PIE. I read about other companies too, but the PIE support people we able to tell me what would definitely work with my deck, while other companies I talked to weren't as sure.

The audio quality is great too, well as good as MP3s can be. But much, much better than the FM transmitter I used before.

I don't know exactly which Ipods it supports. I have the previous generation of the classic (80GB) and have no problems.

Members online

Back