2000 egr code

Steven

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm Steven. I have a 2000 LS with the check engine light on. Had the light checked and was told that it was the egr valve. Simple enough. Replaced the valve and had the light turned off. In a couple of days the light comes back on so I go by the auto parts store for another check and he says it's the egr. I told him I just replaced it and cleared the memory. He said that I also needed to clear the history so he did that for me. The next morning the light came back on. Car is running fine. What gives?

You need to check the whole system, dont rush to replace working parts. It might be the clogged hole in the intake.

Start with a simple check, to check the egr-intake hole. Car on idle, now take off the vacuum line from the EGR valve, on top of it, apply vacuum to egr valve so it opens up, you can just suck air out of it. At this point engine should feel like it's going to stall, if this doesn't happen, you probably have the hole clogged. There's a small hole after throttle valve inside intake manifold. Also you didn't mention what engine you have, V6 or V8.

What is the exact (five character) OBDII code that you are getting?
(There are a bunch of different ones that are related to the EGR, but they mean different things. There is no code that says "replace EGR valve." There are codes that say something is wrong with the EGR system. It could be the valve, but it could be something else.)

Members online

Back