2000 DeVille DTS Suspension System

infowill

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I need some feedback - the entire suspension system is out of an otherwise beautiful 2000 DeVille I'm thinking of buying. Because of the price on the car, it would make sense if I could repair it for under $2000 but not at the more than $4000 the dealership would want. I know that to replace the entire system would be too expensive, but can anyone give me some feedback on the passive conversion kits? I found them online for about $500 for the parts, and I would have to have a local garage do the work. I did this before on a 95 Continental and the ride was OK, but not as good as the original. Is it better on the Caddy, since it's a heavier car in the first place?

Any words of wisdom ???

:)

I am sure it would be similiar to the Conty you did. I figure some day when the airbags go on the Mark VIII, I will do the swap to coils rather then pay for the bags and crap.

Cadoo Suspense

Your post intrigues me, as the struts on my 1996 DeVille sound like a bunch of tin cans rolling down the street. I'll be anxious to know if you are satisfied.

Bernie

It depends on what you mean by 'the entire suspension system is out of....". The Cadillacs don't sit on bags. They have springs on all 4 corners as well as air bags in the back to assist in load leveling. The DTS has stability control which is an active handling system. It has a yaw sensor, an accelerometer and electronic damping shocks that work in conjunction with wheel speed sensors to keep you out of trouble. It also works to keep the car flat in the corners and prevents the nose from diving during hard braking. If you're on a budget I'd find junkyard parts to keep the system operating as it should. Otherwise find yourself a base Deville without the complexity.

Jim

02 Deville DHS Suspension

Dear All,

I'm a newbie, expecting to buy my Dad's 02 DHS in October (a hand-me-down). I'm wondering whether the DHS has the same stability control & suspension components as the DTS... per turbojimmy, "The DTS has stability control which is an active handling system. It has a yaw sensor, an accelerometer and electronic damping shocks that work in conjunction with wheel speed sensors to keep you out of trouble. It also works to keep the car flat in the corners and prevents the nose from diving during hard braking..."

One of the mods I'm interested in is "tightening up" the suspension to improve cornering, braking, etc. while keeping that smooth Cadillac ride. I'm thinking heavier springs, tighter struts and thicker roll bars & bushings, but of course I want to ensure whatever I put on works with thr stability control and load leveling systems. Thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated..

I dont believe the DHS has the same suspension as the DTS since the DTS is the touring model and the DHS is the nicer version of the Deville. It has more options on it. The DTS is the more "sporty" of the Devilles. I would check with the Caddy dealership. If your dad bought it form a Certified one they will be able to answer any question you have. They are usually pretty good about responding to Caddy owners.

Check Arnott (a sponsor here) for price and availability for front strut and rear air shock replacements. When you say "entire system", that would include a compressor and dryer replacement. You might be able to do the whole job for under $2000, and keep the electronic leveling system as was originally intended with aftermarket and rebuilt parts.

Members online

No members online now.
Back