2 problems

02 ls8

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
sometimes when i am driving my 2002 ls v8 there will be a beep the same exact sound when theres some sort of error or you turn off traction control. i will look at the display and nothing will have changed it will stll say my fuel mileage. has anyone herd of this happening?

my next problem is that when i put the car into first it seems to lock as in the car is in park but if i put it in first and wait mabe a good 30 secconds it will start to move again and 1st gear will be fine, but then when i go to put it in 4th it stays in d5, i also have been leaking ATF on my driveway recently but since there no dipstick to check the level theres not much i can do but keep adding more which as im sure people here know is not the most fun thing to do.

please excuse any spelling and grammar errors, thanks for you time

First part sounds like the mystery beep...has happened to every LS owner

As far as the leaking ATF, take it somewhere to get it fixed right. You can't visibly see the leak even though you are under there filling it with ATF?? Some of your trans symptoms sound like it's low on fluid. Remember, not only is it bad to have too little fluid in the trans it's also not good to have too much.

I also believe the power steering runs on ATF so that may be the leak - I'm sure someone will correct me.

the power steering level is fine and i have put it on a hoist my self and looked for the leak but theres ATF everywhere under the car so its hard to find but i will keep everyone posted, has anyone ever tried to fill the trans with fluid before? its so annoying with the stupid 2 piece plug and stuff

the power steering level is fine and i have put it on a hoist my self and looked for the leak but theres ATF everywhere under the car so its hard to find but i will keep everyone posted, has anyone ever tried to fill the trans with fluid before? its so annoying with the stupid 2 piece plug and stuff

How far forward do you find the fluid? That's about where the leak will be. As you drive, the fluid gets blows towards the rear of the car and covers everything. It sounds like you may have a leak from the cooler, or the lines going to it.

My LS has a trans leak also. I was told its the front seal (torque converter seal). I called the dealer and the gasket costs around $8 and another gasket that goes in the same area only costs $9 so I'm buyin both, and having a friend (ford mechanic) do the work. So I'm savin big time, seein how the trans shop told me that replacement of the seal is about $700 plus

its hard to tell where the leak exactly is because theres two spots on the drive way im going to put it on drive level ground tonight and find out, might leave it on stand to be exactly sure where its coming from

Members online

No members online now.
Back