2 Month Brake Job

martinj1

LVC Member
Reaction score
:( My mechanic has had my 93 Mk VIII for over 2 months now. First it was a special tool to bleed the brake lines (THANKS GUYS). Now, he tells me the Brake Proportioning Valve seems to be leaking, sending brake fluid into a wiring harness and blowing the #15 fuse repeatedly. I know this job is going to be a real mother but I can't even get the part. I have tried Ford (obsolete), and salvage yards (no luck yet) ANY IDEAS OR HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED !

sounds like your mechanic is a moron and you are falling for it.Take it somewhere else best advice I can give

I agree /\

You dont need anything special to bleed brakes. And if this guy were worth a :q:q:q:q hed figure out another way to keep it from leaking and blowing fuses.

I dont get why you guys keep trumpeting the fact you dont need a tool to bleed the brakes. In some cases you do. Do you know the exact reason he is getting the brakes bled? I dont either, but that doesnt mean he DOESNT need the tool. There are circumstances that you need to bleed the ABS pump. You can only do that with the Teves IV bleed tool, or equivalent Ford tool.

As far as the leaking prop valve, isnt the prop valve in the ABS pump?

how much trust do you have in your mechanic, and has he ever taken this long before?

Grifter said:
I dont get why you guys keep trumpeting the fact you dont need a tool to bleed the brakes. In some cases you do. Do you know the exact reason he is getting the brakes bled? I dont either, but that doesnt mean he DOESNT need the tool. There are circumstances that you need to bleed the ABS pump. You can only do that with the Teves IV bleed tool, or equivalent Ford tool.

As far as the leaking prop valve, isnt the prop valve in the ABS pump?

you must be his mechanic...:confused:

Grifter is right, but no amount of trouble should keep a car in the shop for 2 months. I could have hired a dealersip to rebuild my car from the ground up by now.

Your mechanic needs to be dropped like a sack of manure one way or another. At the very least, a new mechanic approaching the whole scenario with a fresh mind will benefit your situation greatly.

Have you called either 5 Start Ford or Team ford and asked them about the part?

i never said his mechanic might not be taking him for a ride, merely pointing out there there is a definite need for the right tool. say for instance, if the mechanic was not bright enough to keep the master cylinder full at all times when bleeding the brakes.. if that ran dry, you now get air in the ABS pump, which needs the scan tool to eliminate.. and as all mechanics would, they try to pass the cost of that purchase back on to the owner.. i never said anything about his mechanic being shady or on the level.

a 2nd opinion would be a good idea though..

Members online

Back