1st Gen V8 Forscan testing for Hydraulic Cooling Fan ...

AmsterDutch

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys I was wondering if anyone could do me a solid and help me with some readings off there Forscan in the Live feed Dashboard?
Wondering if someone can hook up there Forscan and turn on the AC (Air Conditioner) go into Live Feed and select all three of these PIDs in Module PCM for FANVAR_F-Cooling fan driver fault....FANDC-Variable Fan Duty Cycle....FANVAR-This parameter indicates the engine cooling
I want some numbers if you could be so kind ...while looking at FANDC I want to know what the % changes to when you hit the AC button and turn it on ...Wondering if it goes to 12 Volts as soon as you turn on your AC and if the FANVAR % goes up because mine is staying on 9.68% all the time no matter if AC is on or off...I changed out the actuator and tested both the used one I bought off of Ebay and the exsisting actuator I had in the car ...when applying 12 Volts to the actuator I heard both of them click and both of them rattle a bit when shaken ...so i'm thinking there not stuck ...any help would be great ...also is it possible that the fan blade can become loose from the fan housing assembly ....feels and looks like there is a bit of play in the fan blade? Thanks

Note that the PCM will not turn up the fan if the AC high side doesn't make enough pressure, so you might want to look at that too. If it's not, then:
Incorrect refrigerant amount
Bad scroll control valve
Bad compressor

Edit!: Left out bad expansion valve

Last edited:
Note that the PCM will not turn up the fan if the AC high side doesn't make enough pressure, so you might want to look at that too. If it's not, then:
Bad scroll control valve
Bad compressor
Holy Moly ...you just answered a question that has been running through my mind for days ...I do need to charge up my refrigerant ...the AC isnt blowing cold at all ...thanks Joe for the info

Bad scroll control valve
Bad compressor

Edit!: Left out bad expansion valve
You were Spot On Again Joe! Being a 2002 LS I didn't/don't have much faith in the AC system functioning properly so I put half of can of R-134A refrigerant in the Low side port of the AC ...not sure if it fixed the AC due to the temp being only 53 degrees today in the Midwest but as soon as the refrigerant hit a certain level ...BAM! on went my Hydraulic Fan to higher speed...Forscan FANVAR is running at 27.01%-29.01% when car is in stop and go traffic with AC off and it kicks up higher when I turn the AC ON!...Man it's amazing the little things in life that make me happy...lol Thanks again for chiming in your knowledge JOE!

Members online

Back