1st Gen 2002 LSE Moon Roof question?

AmsterDutch

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I will finally be the proud owner of the rare and elusive 2002 LSE in a couple weeks for $700 just waiting for the guy to get the title in the mail...question ???? The car has a broken moon roof when you close the driver or passenger door you can see it raise up of the top of the car ...does anyone know if this is a quick fix ....I tried using it and it does go back about 6 inches then stops ...will this be a easy fix or will I need to grab one off a different LS? The next issue is no reverse? Any thoughts on whether it may be a solenoid? Or will this be a complete rebuild? All other gears work great...and yes that is correct 123,563 miles
348.jpeg
350.jpeg
352.jpeg
354.jpeg
356.jpeg
359.jpeg
361.jpeg
367.jpeg

I will finally be the proud owner of the rare and elusive 2002 LSE in a couple weeks for $700 just waiting for the guy to get the title in the mail...question ???? The car has a broken moon roof when you close the driver or passenger door you can see it raise up of the top of the car ...does anyone know if this is a quick fix ....I tried using it and it does go back about 6 inches then stops ...will this be a easy fix or will I need to grab one off a different LS? The next issue is no reverse? Any thoughts on whether it may be a solenoid? Or will this be a complete rebuild? All other gears work great...and yes that is correct 123,563 milesView attachment 828572446 View attachment 828572447 View attachment 828572448 View attachment 828572449 View attachment 828572450 View attachment 828572451 View attachment 828572452 View attachment 828572453
Not sure about the sunroof but it's a safe bet from that time period one of two things happened (long as no chunks of metal in pan)
Either solenoid pack/valve body are messed up. If you replace it I would replace both like I did on my 01. Or the Other thing would be the bank broke I highly doubt that the transmission is bad unless you see chunks of metal. Either way I would check for codes but I can say my 01 threw no codes when mine had no reverse. It's quite possible the valve body has a bad reverse spring and that is causing the no reverse issue. That is assuming it shifts smoothly though... I would honestly replace both the valve body and solenoid pack together for good measure and make sure the plate is changed as well.

Also be sure to check out them timing tensioners being that it's a Gen 1. I know mine needed to be changed for sure around that same mileage and they had already started breaking I just caught mine in the nick of time. They are easy enough to change the hardest part is removing the valve covers. I am obviously referring to the secondary ones not the main ones on the actual timing chain.

Not sure about the sunroof but it's a safe bet from that time period one of two things happened (long as no chunks of metal in pan)
Either solenoid pack/valve body are messed up. If you replace it I would replace both like I did on my 01. Or the Other thing would be the bank broke I highly doubt that the transmission is bad unless you see chunks of metal. Either way I would check for codes but I can say my 01 threw no codes when mine had no reverse. It's quite possible the valve body has a bad reverse spring and that is causing the no reverse issue. That is assuming it shifts smoothly though.
I suppose that will be the first step in the right direction ...a fluid exchange to see what the fluid looks like ...thanks Dale ...crossing fingers it won't be major ...but for $700 dollars even if I need to rebuild it I'm not to disappointed ...the engine is solid and the plastic was changed so someone kept her up a little bit at least

I suppose that will be the first step in the right direction ...a fluid exchange to see what the fluid looks like ...thanks Dale ...crossing fingers it won't be major ...but for $700 dollars even if I need to rebuild it I'm not to disappointed ...the engine is solid and the plastic was changed so someone kept her up a little bit at least
There is enough of them at the bone yard so there is always a chance of getting a used transmission and even ones on eBay that come with warranty for at least 6 months for ones under $700 shipped. Just be sure to check feedback out! I mean I also bought my valve body and solenoid pack rebuilt but the guy had 100% positive feedback and he had been doing it for years with several hundred good rebuilds. I think I remember paying $130 or so shipped for mine then I bought the plate with the bonded gasket already on it for about $35 more.

Since all the other gears work... the reverse issue could be a band adjustment... if the band isn't broken already.

Do a search. There's a thread somewhere where Joe describes the adjustment procedure to another member.

It's also in the shop manual too, (somewhere).

Since all the other gears work... the reverse issue could be a band adjustment... if the band isn't broken already.

Do a search. There's a thread somewhere where Joe describes the adjustment procedure to another member.

It's almost a coin toss with the 2 kinda problems that transmission can have. I would still usually in most cases be willing to bet valve body spring is a problem and/ or the solenoid pack itself.

Thanks 04 Sport ..I will be doing research over the coming weeks ...but just thought I would pick some BRAINIACS on the Forum ...this Forum is always amazing and never disappoints ...Thanks for the great lead I will search it out for sure

It's almost a coin toss with the 2 kinda problems that transmission can have.

Yeah. I just figured the band adjustment was the easier of the two to do... and it probably needs it anyway.

It could need the separator plate update too... which could be done with the solenoid pack/valve body work if needed.

Yeah. I just figured the band adjustment was the easier of the two to do... and it probably needs it anyway.

It could need the separator plate update too... which could be done with the solenoid pack/valve body work if needed.
That is the name I was looking for when I said plate thanks! I could not think of the proper name but I knew that plate is important to look at changing if you go the route of replacing the solenoid and valve body. If I am not mistaken them plates crack at times as well. Them Plates are not crazy expensive and if you take all that apart it would be wise just to go ahead and change it to the revised separator plate for peace of mind.

Well whatever the case may be ...like I told Dale even if I bring it to my Mechanic and he sends it out to his transmission guys, I only paid $700 for a Black on Black LSE :D

I saw the ad on Craigslist it was just for the aftermarket wheels and BF GoodWrench Tires with less than 300 miles on them and I thought I would ask if he still had the Lincoln ...he said yes and that because the reverse went out I could take the car and all for $700 ...after he sent me the pics I requested I was over joyed to see it was a LSE lol :D

So how many LS's do you have now? Do we need to do an intervention? :eek:;)
Just 2 in the stable now ...The 2006 LS and now the 02' LSE no way am I ever giving up th 06' LS ...I should've listened to Joe a long time ago and bought the 06' ;)

Does anybody know the LSE production numbers by year? By engine size? I've have spent the better part of 4 hours researching. Total production numbers are easy; it's broken down by type that's elusive. BTW, I need an LS intervention. I love my LS.

Members online

Back