1999 Taurus with lincoln continental D.O.C.H. 4.6

JC1994

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I seen a really cool 99 Taurus with a D.O.H.C. 4.6 out of a Lincoln Continental tonight. I pulled up next to it and noticed V8 emblems on the side of the fenders. I was like ok it's a SHO. Wrong! when he went by I recognized the sound of the D.O.H.C. 4.6 and those continental oval tail pipes, So at the next light after making sure it wasn't a SHO, we pulled over and talked. this car was immaculate! dark metallic green,super clean interior. I have heard of this being done,but this is the first one I have seen up close. I have a 96 and a 99 Taurus, I just may consider this swap for one of mine!! yeah I know it's not a Mark VIII but I would sure as hell own it! Awesome car!! :Beer

Yep. The swap ain't too hard, either. There's a guy in Methuen with the same setup in a 2003 Sable. You can get a Conti DOHC on ebay DIRT cheap. Right now, there are two listed under $300. Be sure to get 2000+ engine. The C heads have better low-end punch for the streets...

Dern Humpus said:
So the car remains FWD and uses the stock tranny?

YUP.. its a shame that the conti's motor is side ways.........p.s. :Bang

NYC LSC said:
This thread's worthless without pics :D

BORING SUPBJECT....maybe if they made the tarus a rwd w/ the mk8 motor then talk bout it..kinda like there doing w/ the focus and a dohc....sawps!!!!!!

lincolnboy said:
BORING SUPBJECT....maybe if they made the tarus a rwd w/ the mk8 motor then talk bout it..kinda like there doing w/ the focus and a dohc....sawps!!!!!!
Might be boring to you,but this is the kind of swap that is very cool. Besides if you don't like this thread go find another one. also try spell check, It's obvious you didn't win any spelling contests.

am I wrong in thinking the conti had a SOHC and not a DOHC?

Yes, the Contis have a DOHC 4.6L V-8. Too bad they're wrong wheel drive.

EDIT: Dang it. JC1994 beat me to it.

Will the continental engine bolt up to the tranny already in the taurus or do you need the tranny out of the Continental? I forgot to ask the guy,I figured he must have used the continental tranny. but I don't know.

JC1994 said:
Will the continental engine bolt up to the tranny already in the taurus or do you need the tranny out of the Continental? I forgot to ask the guy,I figured he must have used the continental tranny. but I don't know.

i dont know if its a direct bolt up,but both cars use the ax4n transaxle.unless the taurus has the base pushrod motor ,then it most likely,but not always,uses the ax4s trans,as far as i know the 3.0L DOHC uses the ax4n only.

mike

JC1994 said:

Yes- they share the same AX4N transaxle. You may need a different bellhousing, but the Conti engine already has some sort of different bellhousing, which makes it useless in RWD applications. So it may be there, and it may not be there...

Both of my Taurus's have the 3.0 litre OHV Vulcan engines, will the continental engine work with the transaxle that is in these cars? or will I need a continental transaxle?

JC1994 said:
I'm seriously considering this swap.

i would really like to see if this swap is possible,we need pictures of that guys car.

i think it would be very unique packing 4.6 into the taurus.

hmmm,wonder if the wife would realize she gained 100hp the first time she hit the gas pedal getting on the turnpike for work.haahhaaha

i want more info from that guy :Bang

i think you would be best to take the trans from the conti,
the ax4s is considered a little on the weak side,i would even think that the ax4n in the conti is slightly built op from whats in the 200hp taurus dohc.

Mike

Damn...I got all excited seeing the attachment icon thinking there weer pictures in here and they turned out to be smilies. Dammit :p

dose any one know if i can take my 95 continental and put a engine from a 2000+ continental when it,s time to change the motors whem the life of mine is up

also my mom drive a tuarus it,s a 2004 with a 24v DOHC is this saposed to be the best engine that came in that year and modle
what the horse power in that car dose any one know

bigdog1279 said:
also my mom drive a tuarus it,s a 2004 with a 24v DOHC is this saposed to be the best engine that came in that year and modle
what the horse power in that car dose any one know

201HP @ 5650rpms, and 200lb-ft @ 4400rpms.

Members online

No members online now.
Back