1999 Conti is very hard to shift out of park, any ideas?

fatboyq

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
usually harder to shift out of park when its colder outside, when its warm its not that hard. All brakes light work fine, any ideas? is there a cable or solenoid I can switch out? I have to use all my strenght to shift it out of park into drive. once in gear runs and shifts great no issues or lights. please help just got this car 1 week ago, and it was fine until 2 days ago

while I am not an expert on the 99's, there is probably a cable from the shifter to the shift lever on the trans to actually perform the gear selection. maybe its got some gummed up lube in it??

otherwise, I cannot think of anything else

I park on a slope, so I always point the wheels at the curb, which drives my wife nuts because when the key is turned off it locks the steering wheel and next time the car is started the steering wheel may need to be slightly moved without any power steering working to release the lock.

Maybe something like that is effecting your shifter mechanism.

I park on a slope, so I always point the wheels at the curb, which drives my wife nuts because when the key is turned off it locks the steering wheel and next time the car is started the steering wheel may need to be slightly moved without any power steering working to release the lock.

Maybe something like that is effecting your shifter mechanism.

I had a 97 and when I parked on a slope if my wheels weren't straight then it would be tough to shift.

Members online

Back