1998 with 65k miles rides rough

dablack

New LVC Member
Reaction score
New to me 98 with 65k miles rides rough. Years ago I had a couple of 97 tbirds and a 98 mark viii (96-2004ish). I posted on the old tccoa site when we lived in Houston. I've been wanting another one but it needed to be nice. Found this black on black LSC with about 65k miles on it and it is in nice shape. The only problem is that it rides rougher than what I remember. It still has a functioning air ride system and while the compressor is noisy when running, seems fine. I replaced the brakes last weekend because I had the wheel shakes when on the brakes so that is gone now but the rough ride is still there. Thoughts?

Also, where can I get a replacement coolant cross over? Mine looks rough and I rather just replace it when I do the coolant soon.

thanks
Austin

Welcome aboard. Sounds like you found a gem of a Mark. Couple things, the rough ride maybe due to to much air in tires which could be a problem too. Are the tires cupped at all?? Front suspension look worn out, tie rod end links? How about shocks/struts? Air ride getting up Ok? Just thinking of potential issues that can be eliminated.

For the replacement cross over pipe for the coolant, 1996-1998 Mustang Cobra coolant cross over pipe will work. I had found one on Ebay. It will need new seals and a fresh coat of paint: MUSTANG COBRA U SHAPE WATER HEAD PIPE 4.6 4v v8 1998 1997 1996,saleen DOHC | eBay Others will chime in on this too.

Here are some aftermarket companies for your Mark VIII: Super Coupe Performance Parts| '93-98 Lincoln Mark VIII

https://www.templeperformance.com/lincoln_parts.html#/

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the welcome. Air in the tires is 32psi. All the suspension looks good. I checked everything out when I did the brakes and cleaned and hit the grease fittings. Still rides a little rough. I'm sure there is something worn out or at least dried out in there. Who knows how long this car sat.

I will start looking around for a cross over.

I'm going to be driving it year round so I need a traction-lok for better snow performance, yeah....thats why. Maybe some 3.73 gears too....uh....for the snow.
I've already done the jmod so that's much better. (note: I was one of the first guys to do the jmod back in the day...I was in college at the time)
My biggest problem right now is that I need to swap in a new OSS on the transmission and I can't get to it. The VSS is easy to reach but the OSS is going to be tough. I think I'm going to have to drop the exhaust and rear of the transmission to be able to do it. Not pleased at all.

thanks
Austin

I have the same "ballsy" ride with my '97 LSC. I have assumed that it's a product of the sport suspension.
Also, I had the wheel shake and thought it was warped (badly) rotors. Mechanic did all four new brakes rotors and calipers. He said none were bad. Just thin? He did say the upper ball joints were totally shot and that he thought they were the pulsing/shaking. Replaced at the same time so I guess I can't say if it was warped rotors or ball joints. But it's smooth now.

Ok! I'm sure they are the original ball joints so I will check them out.

thanks

Went out to check it at lunch and it moves down when I push down. I'm sure it is just a combination of worn and dried out parts. I need to start putting together a list of things I need to order.

thanks

I have the same ride on my 98 LSC which I just bought less than a month ago.. its more firm than my 94 was for sure!

Only 64k miles, and on the original air bags. The upper ball joints need to be done, so I am going to replace all the major parts in the front end while its apart after I get this lazy shift to overdrive fixed, and hoping its just the accumulator! lol

Members online

No members online now.
Back