1998 STS - Wheel Bearing replacement

pikeymut

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I had this low humming sound coming fromt the front of the Cadi, and finally had my mechanic take it for a ride and try to figure out where the sound was coming from.

Turns out that it is the right front wheel bearing. Guess what, that puppy is $302 bucks! For a wheel bearing! They say it's because GM in there wisdom includes all the ABS componants in there, so it's more than just traditional bearing... should have guessed. Fortunatly, it's only an hour labor so the grand total is around $400.

The car has about 84k on it. Anyone else experienced this?

http://www.cardomain.com/id/pikeymut

Mike

pikeymut said:
I had this low humming sound coming fromt the front of the Cadi, and finally had my mechanic take it for a ride and try to figure out where the sound was coming from.

Turns out that it is the right front wheel bearing.

<snip>

The car has about 84k on it. Anyone else experienced this?

http://www.cardomain.com/id/pikeymut

Mike

Hummmm, :) My '99 sorta making that sound, I talked to a friend, and it looks like O'Rilley lists the wheel bearings at $150 or so, only thing is those FWDs have a high torque wheel nut. I could change them myself if I could get the nut off, anyone know what the northstars are spec-d at??

:C

I ended up paying the garage to replace the wheel bearing for me, mostly because I couldn't find the part at the low price mentioned above... looks like a good thing anyway. The garage had so much trouble removing one of the bolts (can't recall which) that they had to heat it. In do so they burned the CV boot and had to replace that! Of course at no cost me.

Anyway, it made a heck of a difference. It's quite again. It never was really loud, but it's kind of like the refridgerator in your house, you don't really hear it until it shuts off.

round and round the wheel bearings go...

pikeymut said:
I ended up paying the garage to replace the wheel bearing for me, mostly because I couldn't find the part at the low price mentioned above... looks like a good thing anyway. The garage had so much trouble removing one of the bolts (can't recall which) that they had to heat it. In do so they burned the CV boot and had to replace that! Of course at no cost me.

Anyway, it made a heck of a difference. It's quite again. It never was really loud, but it's kind of like the refridgerator in your house, you don't really hear it until it shuts off.
:I
I wound up taking mine in, (I have the questionable "extended warranty" - more on that some other time) and it needed both fronts, they tossed on front brake pads at the same time. $110, and the warranty covered 600+... It now has 90k on the clock. :C

Members online

No members online now.
Back