1997 markviii running really bad..

Been there done that. Depending on how many miles you have on the car you may want to replace the altl

The car has 100,000 miles on it alt was replaced and 80,000.

this car is turning out to be a pain ,i restore cars for a living and i have rewired many old mopar's wich have the worst electrical systems i have ever seen . now this mark just seems to be one electrical problem after the other . my head lights are starting to go nuts,to the point where i cant turn them off no more or they go crazy. now i think the rest of the of the running poor problems and do to electrical now as well.... so now do i want to remove the fusible links also.

It sounds like you are having power issues for sure. It doesnt matter how good that wire was when they put it in, you're talking about major power wires that are almost 20 years old.
I would replace the big 3 as well as the link going to the fuse box and the alt.
Check the ground on the passenger side also. Its a small woven cable that wraps under the wheel well with a small bolt just below the upper control arm.
I'm almost certain if you replace the wires you will cure your power issues.

hey guys, ok here is what i have done. i went out and bought the spray cleaner and took off every plug that i could find and sprayed it down and brushed them . took my compressor and tired to dry them all no water was able to be found anywhere. Also i have replaced the big three 0g wire to the block for ground and 8g wire to the body for ground, replaced the power wire with 8g wire for an amp. still have the running bad issue also i went on a road 25 mile trip after seafoam had the scanner hooked up and i did notice that the O2 sensor bank 2 sensor 1 was not showing any mV while the other upstream sensor was showing 808 mV at 40 mph. Well then i went and bought a new O2 sensor and replaced it still the same 0 mV on the bank 2 upstream sensor. Now i do not know what to do because i cant get to the connector to back probe it to get some readings from there . does anyone know where i can probe the wire at in a diff location.

It sounds like you are having power issues for sure. It doesnt matter how good that wire was when they put it in, you're talking about major power wires that are almost 20 years old.
I would replace the big 3 as well as the link going to the fuse box and the alt.
Check the ground on the passenger side also. Its a small woven cable that wraps under the wheel well with a small bolt just below the upper control arm.
I'm almost certain if you replace the wires you will cure your power issues.

+1
Dam cars need to push 14v or your going to have all sorts of issues.
Do the big 3, install a 130 amp cobra unit.

These cars put on a fun light show when the volts drop.

well i think i have found all the running problems with the car , looks like i have bad intake gaskets by number 8 cyl.Is there anyone that has any pic of removing the intake and cleaning the imrc's . IM sure i can take it apart on my own just like to have pic for reference lol.

also i have tested the battery and alternator voltage twice since the wire upgrade and i think i have came to the conclusion that the alternator is bad . the voltage that i had got 14.5 was wrong i had tested a car before hand and hit the hold button on the meter :shifty: its still 13.7 at idle and 12.5 with everything on in the car when i rev the car up to 2,000 rpm the voltage stays the same with or without everything on...

Ok guys so here is the up date . changed the intake gaskets got a new alternator , new cam and crank sensor .cleaned to IMRC and the ports put it all back together and it still runs the same. Smoked the motor looking for vac leaks and there was none to be found, so i then went over all the plugs to make sure everything was making good connection when the car was running i found nothing at all wrong .then i went over all the vac lines and still have found nothing wrong . Is there something that IM missing .

Spray smoke into the brake booster and watch for leaks. I found a tiny leak from on my exhaust manifolds when I was seafoaming.

Have you checked if your cats are clogged?

I had a cracked EGR tube. It was night and day difference after I solved that problem.

cleaned to IMRC and the ports put it all back together and it still runs the same

How did the plates look?
There are o ring in these that can leak, how many miles are on this car?

Did you read the the post on rebuilding them?

How did the plates look?
There are o ring in these that can leak, how many miles are on this car?

Did you read the the post on rebuilding them?

yes i ead the post i put new o rings in. 95,000miles on the car

Spray smoke into the brake booster and watch for leaks. I found a tiny leak from on my exhaust manifolds when I was seafoaming.

Have you checked if your cats are clogged?

there is the that great rotten egg smell from my car the cats might be getting clogged but i had a t-bird that the cats clogged on doesnt act the same tho.when the car does this it will start to idle rough like its missing really bad then trys to die when u give it gas the car does try to go then i hold the gas to the floor and wont go past 3,000 rpm then it will just take off like no other.

So sometimes it runs good?
Does it just run good when its cold, or when its warm?
If you clear the codes do they come back?
Can you watch the IMRC's while running?
Are the working like they are supposed to?

So sometimes it runs good?
well that is where it get messed up . there are times that i can start the car and it will act up from the get go . then there are times that i cant start it runs great for 10-15 min and actes up after hot . but it does it when the car wants to i can never replicate it.

If you clear the codes do they come back?

yes i can clear the codes and then i the codes will come right back . i have looked at the data with the scan tool while running the o2 bank 2 sensor 1 show's 0mv while all the others are reading good.

Can you watch the IMRC's while running?
Are the working like they are supposed to?

yes before i put the hood on and wiper cowl on i ran the car to make sure everything was good i can look at the cables that run to the IMRC'S both sides and the open and function proper.

this car is acting really weird i can never get the car to act up with the scan tool hook up .

still running accel coils....I'd stick with oem

seen more accel cops give people grief with all types of modular ford engine's

Yes I'm still running the accel cop. The car has always had this prob with accel cop on it maybe I can get the part store to return them.

Members online

No members online now.
Back