1997 continental starter

jrod

LVC Member
Reaction score
How difficult is it to do a starter on my Lincoln? I went to leave in it the other night and the starter spins but i think the clutch in it is slipping cause it won't engage the motor. :L

jrod said:
How difficult is it to do a starter on my Lincoln?..

Looking at the 1996 manual, it looks pretty straight forward

Here's the 1996 R&R text:

Starter Motor

Removal

1. WARNING: WHEN SERVICING STARTER MOTOR OR PERFORMING ANY MAINTENANCE IN THE AREA OF THE STARTER MOTOR, NOTE THE HEAVY GAUGE INPUT LEAD CONNECTED TO THE STARTER SOLENOID IS HOT AT ALL TIMES. MAKE SURE THE PROTECTIVE CAP IS INSTALLED OVER THE TERMINAL AND IS REPLACED AFTER SERVICE.

Disconnect the battery ground cable.

2. Raise the vehicle on a hoist.

3. Remove splash shield from front sub-frame and lower radiator support.

4. Remove red starter solenoid safety cap from starter solenoid.

5. Remove positive battery cable and S-terminal wiring retaining nuts from starter solenoid.

6. Remove positive battery cable and S-terminal connector from starter solenoid and position connector and cable out of the way.

7. Remove two starter motor retaining bolts.

8. Lift starter motor and disengage alignment pins from transaxle case. Carefully remove starter motor from vehicle.

Installation

1. Position starter motor to transaxle case and install retaining bolts finger-tight.

2. Make sure starter motor is positioned correctly. Tighten the retaining bolts to 20-27 N-m (15-20 lb-ft).

3. Install positive battery cable (B-terminal) and S-terminal connector to starter solenoid. Tighten B-terminal nut to 9-14 N-m (80-124 lb-in). Tighten S-terminal nut to 5-7 N-m (45-62 lb-in).

4. Replace red starter solenoid safety cap.

5. Install splash shield to front sub-frame and lower radiator support. Tighten retaining screws securely.

6. Lower vehicle to floor.

7. Connect battery ground cable.

Members online

No members online now.
Back